SDHC cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 30th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #1
Major Player

SDHC cards

Does the Sony 4K X70 benefit from UHS-II Cards. Gotta buy more cards.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: SDHC cards

The X70 is NOT UHS-II capable. You would be able to off-load from a UHS-II card faster with the appropriate reader, but the camera will not give a damn, as it doesn't have the second pins, nor do the codecs in it require any speed advantage they would offer.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 01:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll also add - if you go down the UHS-II route, steer clear of the Lexar 128gb 1000x SDXC U3 UHS-II, I had no end of strange issues with them.

I'm back on Transcend UHS-1's now & they seem fine at 4k 100mbps.
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 01:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What Paul A said.

Remember too that UHS is just a bus standard; it doesn't say anything about how fast the flash memory inside the card is. So, even if the X70 supported UHS II (which, as Paul correctly points out, it doesn't), that's saying you can transfer data into the card at 156 MB/s, which is 1,284 Mb/s. There are two things badly wrong with this picture -- first, the camera isn't creating 1,284 Mb/s; the maximum is 100 Mb/s. Second, there's no SD card out there which can record data that fast; so even if the bus is that fast, the SD card still won't be able to accept data at more than its write rate.

BTW, you mean SDXC cards, not SDHC.
Atticus Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys! You saved me some $$$.
Re. Lexar cards.....they stink. I had several break and Lexar said I was too rough.....so much for the Lexar warranty. I switched to SanDisk and have had zero problems.

What speed are you guys recommending for 4K?
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Lake View Post
What Paul A said.

Remember too that UHS is just a bus standard; it doesn't say anything about how fast the flash memory inside the card is. So, even if the X70 supported UHS II (which, as Paul correctly points out, it doesn't), that's saying you can transfer data into the card at 156 MB/s, which is 1,284 Mb/s. There are two things badly wrong with this picture -- first, the camera isn't creating 1,284 Mb/s; the maximum is 100 Mb/s. Second, there's no SD card out there which can record data that fast; so even if the bus is that fast, the SD card still won't be able to accept data at more than its write rate.

BTW, you mean SDXC cards, not SDHC.
Great explanation!
Old September 1st, 2016, 12:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just like Paul, I'm using Transcend cards, I've got 64GB cards that give just over 1 hour at 4K100 mb/s. ( and far more at lower resolutions and speeds) Two of them are two years old and never a problem
Old September 4th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #8
Trustee

And be careful with inserting your cards, and also ejectulating them. I have one Lexar 64GB gold card that gets sticky when inserting or ejectulating, due to the decal on the card starting to fray and peel.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 07:36 AM   #9
Major Player

The problems I had with Lexar were the little pieces of plastic that divided the contacts would bend or break. I mentioned it on one of the photo forums that I frequent and found that my experience was not uncommon.

As an early adopter of digital, I learned early on to be gentle with my first $600.00 1gb CF card!!!
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds