Sony A65 and A77 any good? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old March 29th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sony A65 and A77 any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
According to the manual, the A65 is able to shoot to the 29 minute limit up to around 30C/(roughly 90F) ambient temperature (thought they do seem to qualify that...). At 40C, they indicate much shorter time before thermal issues... and they don't say whether those #'s are with Steady Shot on or off, but I believe they are with it "on". Overall, looks like the A65 will shoot a lot longer than the smaller A55, which I feel suffers from being a "small body".
The A65/77 don't use IBIS in video mode, they crop the frame and use digital stabilization. On the A55 it's the IBIS that overheats in video mode, not the sensor like the nex-5.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #17
Inner Circle

@ Matt -

I'm guessing IBIS is Image Block Image Stabilization?

From page 82 in the manual:

If possible, use a tripod and disable the SteadyShot function.

This is the same as the A55 if my memory serves, so I still suspect SOME mechanical stabilization is taking place? Obviously electronic IS would cause less heat than a mechanical stabilizing, as I would expect the necessary mechanisms would produce some heat, and it appears there is still something going on in there.

@ Mark -
Maybe I've been spoiled by the low light performance of the Sony Handycams, but they still beat the SLT hands down, at least from what I can see. Even my lowly DSC TX100V Point & Shoot does as well or better... BUT that's not why I wanted the A65 - the stills so far are noticeably sharper and crisper, and the video will be more than acceptable based on what little testing I've done. I wanted good still cameras first and foremost, and the 60p video capability with the potential for some nice DoF shooting is a bonus.

I like the ability to shoot 60p, and now pretty much everything I've got does it... I'm looking forward to doing some further testing as time permits, but I'm already glad I did the upgrade - the A55 and A580 are excellent cameras to be sure, but so far the A65 just seems to feel "right"... now I've got to go hunt down that 1.05 firmware!!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:33 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hello,

I just shoot another video this week with low light and thought I add it here. It is a mix between the XA10 and the Sony A65. From the DOF it should be clear which is which. If not - even better :-)

Best
Andreas
Andreas Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 05:58 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
...the only problems I noticed in video (60p) were a bit of moire in a tight blue/white pinstripe shirt (not sure ANY camera won't struggle with THAT)...
Glad you like your A65, Dave. I've seen some great video from the Sonys (like this one).

There are a couple of video capable DSL cameras that seem to deal with moire on patterned clothing a little better than the rest, though - e.g., the Canon 5DMkIII and the Panasonic GH2 (see 4:40 to 5:10 of this Canon 60D/Panasonic GH2 comparison video).

Happy shooting,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, my take is that I see moire on broadcast TV all the time (usually on ties, although it's REALLY funny when it's a coat or dress and the wearer looks like they are "vibrating" on screen!), and I'm pretty sure the cameras and equipment in use cost WAY more than any of the DSLR/SLT cameras.

What I noticed on the short clips I shot was not enough to get worked up over, and since it's the first casual test shoot, I'll have to experiment with the camera further to see whether there's anything that needs to or can be adjusted for. Differences in distance from the person with the shirt made a lot of difference in the amount of moire, for instance... got to go seek out "patterned" subjects and see what the results are, tile roofs should be good!
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:42 PM   #21
Major Player

I've had an A65 for about a month but have not tried the video function. Its strong points as a still camera include lightweight, excellent rapid-fire with no camera bounce (10 fps, stationary prism), very good pics at up to Iso 800, menus easy to use, good battery life (I shot over 900 fine JPEGs and still had 50% battery life remaining using no LCD or autofocus) and excellent OLED electronic viewfinder. Downsides include viewfinder too small to easily use for video, viewfinder fixed in position (as opposed to better video cameras), autofocus poor in low light or when lens aperture smaller than about f 5.6 (but I use manual focus for everything anyway).
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:07 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Try some 60p video - looks pretty good to me, still need to fiddle with the 24p... and get the firmware update... and play with this some more! Just discovered you can change the ISO and get lots better low light while in video mode, still not as good as the trusty CX700, but getting closer, certainly usable!

Sony does make a magnifying eyepiece, I forgot I had one - FDS-ME1AM - pop off the original eyepiece, and it slips right on. It's not MUCH magnification, only 1.15x according to the box, and because the A65 already has a pretty large VF, you have to get your eye right up to it or the corners are cut off!

Overall it does seem to work - only oddity is that when you clip it all the way down, it switches the VF OFF, and goes to the LCD, but it actually works pretty well to leave it a bit up to use the VF, then slide down for the LCD.

As with all the "SL" type cameras, it might not be the first choice for video in every situation, but certainly it provides a good "one camera" solution for doing a bit of both, and I can see where I'll be using it for the "glamour" DoF shots. The stills are worth the price of admission, IMO, and video looks to be an excellent bonus, that really will be handy.

I'll miss the compact A55, but overall, I'm happy with the upgrade.
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #23
New Boot

Hi Dave;

What lens are you using? remember do you need a fast glass for low light work on video, because shutter must be at 50 recording at 25fps and 100-110 if you gonna record at 60fps.

So, you must compensate with a fast lens and higher ISO, i have the A65 and the Nex 5n and booth are very usable up to 1600 ISO, been the 5n better at higher ISO than the A65.

This video i made with the Nex 5n with mainly a Nikon 35-70 F2.8 been 800 ISO the highest i use.

Cheers
Douglas Grillo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR