Just ordered the New Sony a77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Just ordered the New Sony a77

While waiting for this camera to be delivered by this weekend I was wondering if anyone can help me with some accessory purchases.
I plan to use the camera exclusively for video only. No photos.
I'm trying to figure out how many batteries I would need. How long does a battery last at max resolution?
Likewise, I'm trying to figure out how many XCHD cards I would need. Does this camera accept 64gb or is 32gb the max? How much footage at max Rez would that hold?
Anyone have some links on Cage/Matte Box combos that are not so expensive? I love the look of the RedRock Blue but it's just out of price range.
Last but not least is any advice on tripods that I can quickly open/close and use for run and gun wedding/church events? The Manfrottos look great but seem to be very heavy and appear to be great for shooting in one spot for extended periods of time.
Thanks again for all your help. This is my first endeavor into the HDLSR film revolution!!
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Just ordered the New Sony a77

Since no one has jumped in I figured I'd post. Still waiting for the A77 to be available in stores before I get one.

It accepts SD, SDHC, and SDXC (as well as MS) cards which currently go up to 128GB. Recording in PS mode will give you ~2h38m/5h16m/10h32m on a 32, 64, or 128GB card.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Matt,
Thanks for that info!
Looks like UPS will be delivering the Sony a77 tomorrow.
I got it from Best Price on Digital Cameras, Camera Gear, Lenses, Accessories, & Electronics| Berger-Bros.com

Free shipping and no taxes.
They had 5 in stock when I ordered from them.
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #4

I am not really impressed with the video footage from it. The Canon 600D and 60D are still superior for video.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, the footage is not quite as good as I hoped but for 60P video it is better than the Canons

The main disappointment for me was the AGC, I guessed it would be as good as the PD170 AGC but it isn't
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #6

1080 @ 50/60p is a winner
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Major Player

I read a65 a77 you can use manual iso and other settings for video shoot. To use manual iso do you have to have your lens set to manual? Or can you set manual iso and use auto focus?

Also are there certain modes you have to be in to use manual settings
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

You can use manual iso regardless of how your lens is set.The bugger about iso on the A77 however, is that when shooting in video mode, it will only let you set it to a maximum of 1600. Another thing to be aware of...when using auto focus, the camera will limit your aperture to f/3.5...so even if you're using a faster lens, your maximum aperture will still be f/3.5. The only way around that limitation is to shoot with manual focus. I put the camera through it's paces when I first bought it and tested every mode thoroughly. I found that it gives me the best results when I shoot full manual. YMMV.

Mike
Michael Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR