Sony A7s II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old September 11th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony A7s II

Thoughts on the announcement of the A7s II?

Sony a7S II Camera Announced with Internal 4K & 5-Axis Image Stabilization

Some headlines:
Internal 4k recording
5-axis image stabilization
120fps at 1080p
Better lowlight (or so they claim)
S-log 3
Matthias Claflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony A7s II

It looks really amazing. I was a big fan of the original a7S. The first time i shot with the a7S was the first time i shot video with a photo camera the really felt like it was designed by people who understood the needs of a video user. This version retains everything that was great about the original, adds the 5-axis stabilization, adds internal 4K recording, adds S-Log3 color/gamma, and 120p in full 1080. Whats not to love?

I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts and opinions. What concerns are there that i'm overlooking or haven't considered?

Please consider pre-ordering a camera from a small, independant dealer. Often small dealers have a much better wait list to delivered cameras ratio then the big box stores do when a hot product is released. $0 down, cancel anytime, risk free. Professional Video Equipment Sales | Portland, OR

Eric Petrie
epetrie@provideoandtape.com
Finance the Sony FS7 for $248/month, $0 down
Finance the Canon C100mkII for $158/month, $0 down
Eric C. Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Trustee

The only concern I can antiticape is the flood of people claiming it overheats and shuts down when recording extended 4K clips, like the A7rII.

Personally, for the news type work I shoot, I might end up with only 4-7 minutes of footage on a 30-45 minute long news story, so overheating should present a problem for me.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The price of the a7s has come down around these parts to 2040 euro and I"m sure the mark 2 will be around 3200 euro if b&h has it listed for 3K, the stabilization, though helpful, doesn't seem very effective, my rx10 has stabilization as well but I have to use a stabilization plugin on a lot of footage to take the jitter out. If I was interested in a new camera and had a 3.2k budget I rather would go for the a7s mark 1 and get the latest rx100 or stretch my budget a bit and get the rx10 II, not sure if the price difference between the mark 1 and 2 of the a7s would be worth it for me as I would be mainly interested in the full frame and low light sensitivity.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I am currently in the market to upgrade, however my budget sits closer to $2-2.5k. That being said, this might be worth saving a bit more. Since most of what I do is weddings, and short films in my spare time, internal 4k definitely sounds appealing. I shot with an A7s for the first time yesterday and loved most of the controls and the low light as well as the s-log2. The problem I have with s-log is that 3200 minimum iso. If that is lower, maybe 1600 or even 800 iso for s-log 3, I'd definitely consider this as my next camera, especially since the A7s was top of my list till this dropped. (I typically shoot with a 6d or 5d mkiii so to me, this is very exciting stuff.)
Old September 13th, 2015, 04:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I've kept hold of my EA50 that sits in the boot of the car at wedding shoots as a spare in case anything happens to my A7s - guess what...

...I'll be selling my EA50 early next year and getting the A7s II - the original A7s will be my spare - good times!

How can it be better low light??? It already sees better than my eyes!

Some more details here - http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/0...ships-october/

I hope they've improved the style and location of the record button

Last edited by Peter Rush; September 13th, 2015 at 04:56 AM.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #7
Trustee

Waiting now.............
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I believe they did make some minor changes to the record button as seen in the video by B&H.

I am surprised to see B&H with it starting at 2999 USD, just 500 USD over the current Sony A7s. I expect the A7s will drop in price over the next few months. I got to shoot extensively with the A7s over this weekend while using a metabones adapter for Canon EF glass. I kept having connection issues that forced me to shoot wide open when I wanted f/4 or f/8 (shooting with the 85mm f/1.2 or the 70-200 f/2.8), especially since I had so much room to work with the ISO, I was looking forward to using f/8 in some lower light situations at 200mm, but had trouble with the connection. Maybe that's just an issue with the particular metabones adapter I had, but it will definitely stop me from looking further into the A7s II for future gig work until I decide to sell all the canon glass for some native Sony E mount lenses.
Old September 14th, 2015, 08:42 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'll be buying in the new year - before next season starts - it's a no-brainer for me as this camera suits me perfectly - the only gripe I have is with battery life which is pants and not mentioned so I guess it's the same.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Trustee

As soon as in Uk i will be getting it. Best lens Pete? I have tamron 24-70 as you know, 50mm 1.4 but need a stabilzed lens, should i just get the new sony 85, 55mm
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Trustee

I just received my A7s I bought on eBay a day before the A7sII was announced! Paired it with a 24-240 FE lens that I was horrified to discover is NOT parafocal......grrrr! The biggest gripe I have about the A7s is the stupid flat style handgrip. I see the A7sII has one that pokes out forward, and I see this, and the 4K internal functions as reason enough to trade this puppy in for the new camera when it is available. It really is amazing how well this camera performs in low light at f6.3 with this crappy superzoom!

I found the 4x digital zoom in the menu, maybe I should trade this new 24-240 in for the f4.0 24-70 Zeiss? My final output is always 720p60 for broadcast, and the 2 stop reduction in grain noise would help make 2-4x digital zoom in 4K mode tolerable. :)

Paul
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #12
Major Player

Before settling on the 24-70, I'd highly recommend you take a look at the 28-135. Longer zoom ratio, parfocal, consistent exposure... Of course larger and not quite as wide,
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #13
Major Player

S log 3 / gamma3cine is the biggest news about this new camera! If the 8bit can hold up to it, but I doubt it :-/
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #14
Trustee

It's HUGE, but it is on my list. Waiting to see how many more have the rear plastic mounts snap off, rendering them unrepairable by Sony!

Paul
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #15
Trustee

Really? Mm not seen that problem.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR