A7 5-axis + OSS possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old September 19th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Trustee

A7 5-axis + OSS possible?

Can anyone confirm if you can use the newer in body 5-axis image stabilization IN CONJUNCTION with a lenses built in OSS function, to double the effect? In most Sony camcorders, SteadyShot means in lens, and Active SteadyShot designates in lens plus sensor stabilization together.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: A7 5-axis + OSS possible?

Not exactly doubling the effect but the combination should work better than the OSS on the lens alone since the sensor can help stabilize the rolling shake while the system in the lens can't. Oh, and one more thing, in Sony speak, "Active Steadyshot" or "Intelligent Active Steadyshot" means additional software stabilization in-camera plus the optical stabilization in the body or in the lens.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #3
Trustee

I was not sure if Sony impliments anything in firmware that would dissalow in body stabilization if in lens stabilization were active. Sony has a weird way of disbabling one thing when another is enabled. :-)

Paul
Old September 20th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Trustee

Well that answers that, thanks Matt! Hey, I used to live in Northridge. :)

Paul
Old September 25th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Major Player

I asked Sony at an A7RII training and sales event the exact same question. They told me to always turn on the lens OIS on native Sony lenses and the two will communicate and both will use portions of their respective OIS capabilities, which seems to independently confirm Matt's graphic.
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Major Player

I asked Sony at an A7RII training and sales event the exact same question. They told me to always turn on the lens OIS on native Sony lenses and the two will communicate and both will use portions of their respective OIS capabilities, which seems to independently confirm Matt's graphic.

The unusual thing they stated upon my query was that the Super 35 setting would render better digital footage quality than the FF. I told them I might need the low light capability of the FF setting while shooting low light footage. They said use the Super35 setting anyway is it gathers all the possible light of the FF and converts it to Super 35.

Most interesting.

Last edited by Dave Allen; September 26th, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
Dave Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
I asked Sony at am A7RII training and sales event the exact same question. They told me to always turn on the lens OIS on native Sony lenses and the two will communicate and both will use portions of their respective OIS capabilities, which seems to independently confirm Matt's graphic.

The unusual thing they stated upon my query was that the Super 35 setting would render better digital footage quality than the FF. I told them I might need the low light capability of the FF setting while shooting low light footage. They said use the Super35 setting anyway is it gathers all the possible light of the FF and converts it to Super 35.
Do you know whether the response was specific to the A7RII ? -- or whether this was a blanket suggestion across all the A7 product line? Was there an indication of what they specifically meant by "better digital footage quality" ?
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Major Player

I had asked the question specific to the A7RII. I should have asked them what about the Super35 setting was responsible for making the footage appear better as they claimed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR