PMW-350, How happy are you with the camera - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #76
Major Player

Hi Patrick,
Thank you for your reply.
The Porta Brace that I measured is the CTC-4, and its protective protrusion would not allow for a 1 inch elevation of the VF, nor would the previously mentioned Petrol. I will, however, have a look at the case described in your post and get back to you.
Thanks again.

P.S. I will soon require a separate room to house all of my discarded or never-used cases.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Ron I can also highly recommend the same case Patrick is recommending. I have one and it is great as a carry-on and daily use. The CO-OB and CO-OBB are the same size according to the Portabrace website.
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #78
Regular Crew

I think the extra "B" in the model number stands for "black" as opposed to PB blue.

I would first try the bracket to see if an issue exists before buying a $350 camera bag.
But then again, there's nothing like a new, good-fitting bag either!! :-)

P

Last edited by Patrick McLoad; December 8th, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Patrick McLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #79
Major Player

Hi,
While haven't tried the PB C0-0B, I do own the CTC-4 which fits nicely. My only complaint with regards to the PB cases, at least the models that I have on hand, is that they do not secure the camera very well internally and do not provide much storage space. Of course they offer fillable, zippered bags to assume some of the inevitable voids in the case's interior.

I recently purchased the newly released Petrol PC005 which fit the PMW-350 like a glove, in addition to providing a considerable amount of storage space both internally and externally. The case is larger than the C0-0B, primarily in width, and I suspect that it would not be a good choice for an airline travel bag but for those of us who travel by other means it offers a lot. Although this case is high enough, the protective protrusion for the VF will not allow for a 1" elevation of the VF, as the top of the VF comes very close to the ceiling of that protrusion in its stock state.

As an aside, with the VF mounted as Sony intended, I find that the eyepiece to eye alignment is perfect on the horizontal plane. What influence, if any, does the 1" elevation have on neck fatigue, or do you rotate the VF downwards to compensate?
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Ron: With all due respect, I guess you were just not meant for this bracket.

I really don't know what you are talking about. One-inch is infinitesimal. Whether you are on your knees, on sticks, or on shoulder, you adjust the eye-piece to your eye....that's why it's on a swivel.

Patrick
Patrick McLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #81
Regular Crew

am i happy with my pmw350?

Hi Paul,
Am I happy with my PMW-350? The answer is Yes, but I would be happier with PMW-500…as simple as that.
When the PMW-500 came out I was very angry…it could have been the perfect solution for me even if I had to add some extra $$€€,the CCD vs CMOS, 422 vs 420 (I’ve solved it with NF)
When I was looking for a new HD camera to purchase without spending too much and using solid state memory cards I thought to myself: the PMW-350 could be perfect if it has CCD and if it was 422, and 4 month later (after purchasing PMW-350) Sony announce new camera PMW-500…my friend bought the PMW-350 2 days before Sony’s new 500 announcement, and certainly wasn’t happy to hear that.
I use the PMW-350 and Nano Flash for the Italian television Rai and La7, and I also work sometimes for the German and Austrian tv DW & ORF, and I have to say that I have received only compliments for the nice job and the quality image, great satisfaction.
I must say even that I ‘am very happy with camera I can see many limits with the rolling shutter issue,if I could I would immediately change it with the pmw-500,but it’s too late now, the extra $$ I could spend on the 500 4 month ago went to other extra gear, but sometimes when I use the 350 in low light situation I console my self with: I want to see the PMW-500 handling this situation as well as my lovely 350…on the other hand in other situation like fast action I would love to have the 500.
So dear Paul, If you can permit it (PMW-500) get it, just my opinion…
Cheers
Samer
VIDEOSHOT

Last edited by Samer Aslan; December 10th, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #82
Inner Circle

Hi Samer,

Your input is greatly appreciated and your timing is impeccable. Today I decided to go with the PMW-500. Pen has started going to paper on contracts I have been waiting on. So it looks like next week I will buy the camera with associated gear needed.
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #83
Major Player

Hi Patrick,
Yes, even though I am a Floridian, the intense heat has not adversely affected my cortical function ... I fully comprehend the purpose and advantage of the VF's swivel joint (LOL). But I wear eye glasses and have noticed that when angling the VF in a downward fashion it does not mesh properly with my glasses unless I reposition my neck, a maneuver I find both difficult and painful as the result of an injury. And it was for that reason that I posed my postscript.

In any event, while I find your kit an elegant solution for a problem that may exist for many, I can manage with the stock setup as is.

Thank you once again for your response to my query.
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #84
Major Player

Paul,

What glass are you buying with the PMW500 (or using, if you already have 2/3" glass)?

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #85
Inner Circle

Hi Ned,

Well I was just talking by email with Doug about that one. Last time I had the Fujinon ZA17x7.6 and it was excellent. I tested against HJ, HA, J, and XA and it stood out as the best deal. But now I am looking to see if I can afford the ZA22x if not I will go with the same lens as last time. Hard to find good used deals on glass unless you know of any I have not found?
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Congratulations, I must say I am happy for you .. but also a bit 'jealous :-) I wish you good luck and good work, let us know your opinion after experiencing it.
Samer
VIDEOSHOT
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Congrats Paul! Which Viewfinder will you pair with the PMW 500? I know Color VFs are pretty expensive. If it were available today, would you purchase Sony's CBK-VF01, ( The same optional VF as supplied with the 350/320 )?
How does the 350 VF compare to the HDVFC35W, or the HDVFC730W?
Trell Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Hi Ned,

Well I was just talking by email with Doug about that one. Last time I had the Fujinon ZA17x7.6 and it was excellent. I tested against HJ, HA, J, and XA and it stood out as the best deal. But now I am looking to see if I can afford the ZA22x if not I will go with the same lens as last time. Hard to find good used deals on glass unless you know of any I have not found?
Sounds good... I don't know of any deals on used 2/3" lenses and I personally would be much more comfortable buying new unless I really knew the lens' history.

I would imagine that for the helicopter work you had discussed, the ZA22x might be better.

Good luck. I am jealous as well ;)

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #89
Inner Circle

Thanks Samer, Trell, Ned,

It is the right camera for my business at this time and current contracts. Look forward to putting it to work the first week in Jan.

Now the lens search. I will keep the Fujinon ZA 17.7.6 as my first choice but will also look at other options next week at Abel.

Trell, if the PMW-350 VF was on the market (not until fall 2011) I would consider it depending on price. Right now I am looking at the C30W and C35W. I have not looked into the HDVFC730W not familiar with that one.

Ned for flying shooting I don't think you would ever use the 22x added range over the 17x, unless it is a CineFlex system. Our custom gyro system is excellent but beyond 10x7.6 you are pushing the motion
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #90
Inner Circle

Trell I checked on the HDVFC730W viewfinder and that is not what I am interested in using. I need a proper viewfinder when the camera is on my shoulder. For flying and on sticks I also use my Marshal 7" monitor which might now go to the 6.5 for the added resolution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts