DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Importing archived XDCAM-clips in FCP7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/511701-importing-archived-xdcam-clips-fcp7.html)

Luc De Wandel October 26th, 2012 07:27 AM

Importing archived XDCAM-clips in FCP7

I'm trying to import some older XDCAM clips, originally on XDCAM disk, but now archived on hard disk, in Final Cut Pro 7 but that does not work. I've tried several ways: as 'import file' but then none of the files are highlighted so I cannot select them; via 'Log & Transfer', but the clips do not show up in the transfer window; via XDCAM Browser and 'import into FCP' but apparently the browser searches for FCP-X that I do not have nor use, ... so I'm stuck here. Anyone have any ideas? I need the footage for editing together with some newer XDCAM-EX clips..

Doug Jensen October 26th, 2012 07:35 AM

Re: Importing archived XDCAM-clips in FCP7

I don't understand what you are saying. Why doesn't XDCAM Browser 2.1 work? What happens?
Have you tried changing the XDCAM Browser preferences for FCP7 instead of FCPX?
Are the files still in the original folder structure as they were on the disc?

Luc De Wandel October 26th, 2012 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more info: this is the file structure on the back-up hard disk. I don not have the original XDCAM disk anymore.

Luc De Wandel October 26th, 2012 08:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply Doug,

In XDCAM Browser, I have ticked FCP7 as my preference, but the clips appear 'padlocked' (see screendump) and when I right-click one and choose 'Import in FCP' it starts to import but nothing shows up in FCP. Instead I find the clips (as .MOV-files) in a folder under 'movies', 'Sony' and 'XDCAM'. From there I can import them via 'import', 'files' in FCP, but I'm sure I could do this a shorter way in the past.

Doug Jensen October 26th, 2012 09:25 AM

I've seen that before. I'm pretty sure you don't have the most recent XDCAM drivers on your computer. Download and update everything that might remotely have anything to do with XDCAM. Even the U1 drivers.

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

Luc De Wandel October 26th, 2012 01:41 PM

OK, I'm gonna check on updates for everything.

Luc De Wandel October 26th, 2012 04:04 PM

... no such luck. When I enter the link, the message reads: "Bad Gateway. The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server". I'll try again tomorrow

Luc De Wandel October 26th, 2012 11:43 PM

Just updated all drivers and firmware and the problem still remains.

Doug Jensen October 27th, 2012 04:56 AM

In my opinion, the locked clips indicate it is a firmware/driver/software issue. That is the only solution I have to suggest. Sorry.

Luc De Wandel October 27th, 2012 06:29 AM

Appreciate your help very much, Doug, so nothing to be sorry about! For the moment I can work around the problem the way I explained. Didn't hurt to update everything anyway.

Alister Chapman November 8th, 2012 05:06 PM

I think the clips are marked with padlocks because these have been marked with the "keep" shot marker. Xdcam browser will not delete clips marked as "keep".

When importing in to FCP it is best to invoke XDCAM browser from within FCP. If you don't then XD Browser does not know where your project file is stored and as a result may not update the project bin with the new clips. So I always go "file", "import"', "xdcam browser" from within FCP to get xdcam browser to open before selecting the clips I want.

Luc De Wandel November 13th, 2012 03:08 AM

Thanks for the extra info, Alister. I worked the other way round, by starting up XDCAM browser first, but I tried it your way and that's clearly more practical. The padlock icon doesn't really bother me, but I was wondering what it may mean. I don't remember ever marking clips in any way, so I have no idea where it came from.