Importing archived XDCAM-clips in FCP7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 26th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Importing archived XDCAM-clips in FCP7

I'm trying to import some older XDCAM clips, originally on XDCAM disk, but now archived on hard disk, in Final Cut Pro 7 but that does not work. I've tried several ways: as 'import file' but then none of the files are highlighted so I cannot select them; via 'Log & Transfer', but the clips do not show up in the transfer window; via XDCAM Browser and 'import into FCP' but apparently the browser searches for FCP-X that I do not have nor use, ... so I'm stuck here. Anyone have any ideas? I need the footage for editing together with some newer XDCAM-EX clips..
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Importing archived XDCAM-clips in FCP7

I don't understand what you are saying. Why doesn't XDCAM Browser 2.1 work? What happens?
Have you tried changing the XDCAM Browser preferences for FCP7 instead of FCPX?
Are the files still in the original folder structure as they were on the disc?
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Some more info: this is the file structure on the back-up hard disk. I don not have the original XDCAM disk anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Importing archived XDCAM-clips in FCP7-file-structure.jpg  
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Doug,

In XDCAM Browser, I have ticked FCP7 as my preference, but the clips appear 'padlocked' (see screendump) and when I right-click one and choose 'Import in FCP' it starts to import but nothing shows up in FCP. Instead I find the clips (as .MOV-files) in a folder under 'movies', 'Sony' and 'XDCAM'. From there I can import them via 'import', 'files' in FCP, but I'm sure I could do this a shorter way in the past.
Attached Thumbnails
Importing archived XDCAM-clips in FCP7-bax-fcp-log-transfer.jpg   Importing archived XDCAM-clips in FCP7-xdcam-browser-padloc-d1ffe8.jpg  

Old October 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Vortex Media

I've seen that before. I'm pretty sure you don't have the most recent XDCAM drivers on your computer. Download and update everything that might remotely have anything to do with XDCAM. Even the U1 drivers.

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Major Player

OK, I'm gonna check on updates for everything.
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Major Player

... no such luck. When I enter the link, the message reads: "Bad Gateway. The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server". I'll try again tomorrow
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Just updated all drivers and firmware and the problem still remains.
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #9
Vortex Media

In my opinion, the locked clips indicate it is a firmware/driver/software issue. That is the only solution I have to suggest. Sorry.
Old October 27th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Appreciate your help very much, Doug, so nothing to be sorry about! For the moment I can work around the problem the way I explained. Didn't hurt to update everything anyway.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I think the clips are marked with padlocks because these have been marked with the "keep" shot marker. Xdcam browser will not delete clips marked as "keep".

When importing in to FCP it is best to invoke XDCAM browser from within FCP. If you don't then XD Browser does not know where your project file is stored and as a result may not update the project bin with the new clips. So I always go "file", "import"', "xdcam browser" from within FCP to get xdcam browser to open before selecting the clips I want.
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for the extra info, Alister. I worked the other way round, by starting up XDCAM browser first, but I tried it your way and that's clearly more practical. The padlock icon doesn't really bother me, but I was wondering what it may mean. I don't remember ever marking clips in any way, so I have no idea where it came from.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts