green goo in luma transitions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 1st, 2006, 08:22 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Keith, you still haven't answered my first question. What lens and have you done the firmware update? Ok, I see you mention Fujinon but which one?

-gb-
From previous post from Keith:

"Thanks, Greg. The lens is the HSs18x5.5BRD (all the specs are listed in my initial posting above). And yes, I've done the upgrade -- after seeing this manifestation, w/ the wild hope it might've helped.

Keith"
Matthew Ernest Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:25 PM   #17
Wrangler

Matthew, you were too fast. I was looking back at the thread after I wrote that and amended my posting. ;-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Greg -- I posted my 'geeez' post before seeing your reply which also landed earlier in the postings about your microwave metal experience and confirming use of VMOD etc. on the VScope. Thaks for this -- I will see to borrow a composite vectorscope next week and perform this if needed after a 'successful' Lens Auto Recall [read on...]

After reading your next post, I tried the 'lens auto recall'. Makes sense for such a smart lens! But somehow I missed running across the need for this to date, so definitely worth a shot. Unfortunately -- if I performed correctly [just turned Lens Auto Recall to On and power cycled the camera), it did not help the green/red, but did something weird -- knocked out the ability to use menu dial for iris add/subtract, and DCC went bye-bye. I am going to reinstall the firmware, start afresh and see what happens. Appreciate any insights here too! And thanks everyone, especially Greg for what might ultimately remedy this.

Keith
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:47 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Rollinson
After reading your next post, I tried the 'lens auto recall'. Makes sense for such a smart lens! But somehow I missed running across the need for this to date, so definitely worth a shot.
That's because I just this week was informed that there are lens file parameters in the firmware. It had appeared before now that by enabling serial comm, you only gained the ability to make your own lens file and store it with a name identical to your identified lens. Then turn auto recall on to have the camera reload YOUR file at power up.

Quote:
Unfortunately -- if I performed correctly (just turned Lens Auto Recall to On and power cycled the camera), it did not help the green/red, but did something weird -- knocked out the ability to use menu dial for iris add/subtract, and DCC went bye-bye. I am going to reinstall the firmware, start afresh and see what happens. Appreciate any insights here too! And thanks everyone, especially Greg for what might ultimately remedy this.
If you have one of the Cinegamma modes turned on in the new firmware, all KNEE functions are disabled which, by extension will also disable DCC. Not sure about the loss of IRIS OVERRIDE. Go back and turn Lens Auto Recall OFF for now. Make sure the lens serial comm is properly working. If it's on, you should be able to go into the Display menu and turn on FOCUS which will then display your zoom and focus readouts on the upper right side. Once you establish that this is working, then go back and turn Lens Auto Recall ON.

-gb-
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:55 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Matthew, you were too fast. I was looking back at the thread after I wrote that and amended my posting. ;-)

-gb-
I'm just very curious about this...I'm getting strange resolution loss, curved focal plane and color aberations on the edges of the frame on my Fuji. The Fuji people said it was the camera.
Matthew Ernest Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:14 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Got the serial comm to work -- thanks for the link to the .pdf instructions, Greg, I enjoy the extra VF info. All other functions have returned (after reloading firmware.) Of course this didn't (couldn't) help the CA green/red, but I look forward to the VMOD & RGB Flare adjustments sometime early next week when I can get hold of a composite vectorscope, and will report back.

Will also try to sort out the Fujinon v. Sony responsibility issues on this (this lens is MADE for this camera, after all!...so why should you have to tweak for the lens in-camera), and hopefully resolve this problem. Also like that w/ the serial comm handshake you can save these tweaks under this specific lens file.

Thanks again for all the help & info.

Keith
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Monday's update

The drama continues...called Sony tech support this am, who confirmed that, IF there was an issue w/ the camera that could be resolved in the field, it would be by performing the VMOD and R/G/B/ flare adjustments as posted earlier by Greg. I was able to go out to local Sony vendor and perform said adjustments. The VMOD was pretty whack -- +26 is where it wanted to reside -- but the R/G/B/ flare was almost spot on -- R+G remained 0, and B was between 0 and +1. Cool...not! It helped a slight bit, but very little. Fortunately, said dealer had another Fujinon in house (their cameras were sold last week) -- the XS17x5.5RD -- which I stuck on front, and...and...the problem was worse.

So now I'm getting somewhere -- it would appear that the problem is in the camera head itself. So tomorrow down she goes to Sony LA for repair. I will absolutely report back when she returns, and let you know what the problem was. Thanks again, everyone, (especially Greg!) and stay tuned.

Keith
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
So now I'm getting somewhere -- it would appear that the problem is in the camera head itself. So tomorrow down she goes to Sony LA for repair. I will absolutely report back when she returns, and let you know what the problem was. Thanks again, everyone, (especially Greg!) and stay tuned.
Don't worry Keith, there are additional adjustments in the service level menus that should bring your camera/lens combo in line. Definitely let us know what Sony repair finds out.

-gb-
Old December 14th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Update: Sony Round 1

Heard back from Sony today (eight days after arriving there.) Since one does not actually get to speak to a tech, the message relayed by the very junior admin was that the F350 was at factory specs (I've dealt w/ this observation from Sony before on a deck, and ultimately got the problem fixed), and they could find nothing wrong w/ it. Ha! As mentioned, I had an opportunity to go to a local Sony vendor, test my lens and another Fujinon 1/2" lens on my camera, which manifested this problem as well, leading us all to conclude there's something wrong w/ the camera.

So I am protesting, and am having my vendor huff & puff at Sony tech. Again, this problem makes the camera unusable in many situations, and there is definitely something wrong. Will keep you posted.

Keith
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Heard back from Sony today (eight days after arriving there.) Since one does not actually get to speak to a tech, the message relayed by the very junior admin was that the F350 was at factory specs (I've dealt w/ this observation from Sony before on a deck, and ultimately got the problem fixed), and they could find nothing wrong w/ it. Ha! As mentioned, I had an opportunity to go to a local Sony vendor, test my lens and another Fujinon 1/2" lens on my camera, which manifested this problem as well, leading us all to conclude there's something wrong w/ the camera.

So I am protesting, and am having my vendor huff & puff at Sony tech. Again, this problem makes the camera unusable in many situations, and there is definitely something wrong. Will keep you posted.

Keith
Just hang tight and don't give up. I think they'll take care of you. I've had good luck in my dealings with them on a warranty issue last summer.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts