power adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old December 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

power adapter?

does this unit come with a power adapter? I can't seem to find mine. It's either somehwere buried in my messy house or the guy I bought it from didn't include it.
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Ron. Mine didn't even come with a battery, and this was brand a new unit. I had to buy battery and charger separately.
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

interesting..so no battery, no charger, and no power adapter.. lol sony really cheaped out.
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I was annoyed a little by that as well, but then I look at what it costs compared to the other units out there and I feel a little better. It uses the same batteries and power adapters as the cams it's meant to be used with, so you can use those if you have extras lying around. In fact, I always use the 970 batts on the cam, which leaves the cheap little 570s or 770s they give you to be used on the recorder. I picked up a couple of open box power supplies at B&H just to use as spares... about $25 each.

Obviously not an issue if you use the Z5 or Z7, where it gets everything it needs when it snaps directly to the cam.
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

In Europe they come with the mounting cradle for running off seperate battery or mains & a shoe adapter for mounting on non-Z5/Z7 cameras. If using with Z5/Z7, a seperate battery is not required, and the battery charger/mains adapter comes with the camera.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Right, it's the same here.
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Trustee

I think this would have been a longer and much more justifiably vociferous thread if Sony had included (and therefore charged) for a battery and power supply given that the unit is intended for Z5/Z7 which don't need either in normal operation.

If it wasn't that the cradle anmd clamp are relatively low cost, had I been a Z5/Z7 owner I'd have felt aggrieved had I been forced to pay for those items I don't need.

Secondly, since a 570 drives the unit for over 7 hours who wants to lug around two heavy 970's, one on the camera and one on the MRC1?
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Before I got my Z5s I used the MRC on one of my FX1000s, mounted to the single (front only) accessory shoe. With the 970 batt, the whole thing was laughably front-heavy and couldn't be balanced without using a sandbag. The 570 batt is much lighter.

Obviously with the Z5/Z7, no longer an issue, but pretty funny at the time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders