Multicam with three MRC-1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old August 28th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #1
Trustee

Multicam with three MRC-1s

For some time I've been trying to overcome the confusion caused by the MRC-1 numbering files from 0001. As you know the Sony MRC-1 units allow us to insert the camera number as a fixture. Thus with the date and time (not TC) of the clip its name looks a bit like:
01_0001_2010_08_27_144521.

If, like us you typically use four CF cards per camera per wedding, you can have four files each starting 01-0001 etc. They are distinguished only by the time (and the date if it runs past midnight). Of course you can expand the column to read the entire line but that's a real drag.

So, this time I numbered the MRC-1s 01, 05 and 09 then, before importing the clips into Avid, edited camera 1's second card's files to 02, the third card's to 03 etc. Camera 2's cards were already coded 05 so all that had to be done was to rename its second card's files to 06 etc.

Because we don't, unless desperate, use cards out of sequence, the result is that I have three groups of files in true chronological order.

It does, of course, add some prep time but I believe the result will be a rack much easier to navigate.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

But wouldn't that mean that the base number for the first card in each recorder is 1, 5 or 9, and therefore that files with the prefix of 2 would actually be shot later than those with a prefix of 05 or 09? Thus not really in chrono order at all.

I mean, yeah, within each group they're chrono order, but that would be true whether or not you changed the file names because of the extended time stamp in the name.

Or am I not understanding?
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Trustee

Adam, my apologies; what you're missing is what I failed to mention and that was that Avid sorts on card no, shot number and then date and time. Thus if cards 1(3) has a lot of small files and cards 1(2) and 1(4) have just one or two files those will appear higher in the sort than earlier shots on cards 1(2). By renumbering (the card numbers in parenthesis above I overcome this.

I'm sorry for not making this clear - that my solution is relevant to the MRC-1 and any NLE working like Avid Liquid.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Major Player

This is a useful tip. I've been trying to come up with something like this but it never occurred to me that I could use parentheses in file name. (Yeah, I know that you can do this with more recent versions of Windows; it just did not cross my mind.)

Thanks, Philip.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Trustee

Jay, thanks, I'm pleased you found it useful.

However, I should make it clear that I don't actually use parenthesis in my re-numbering. I did so in my example only to make it clear which card was which ie 1 (2) is the card recorded second in camera 1 and renumbered 2 as per my suggestion.

Not only is this simpler and quicker to do but I'm not even sure what Avid would do regarding sorting numbers in parenthesis.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders