HVR-A1U Very Low Audio Gain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old August 16th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Major Player

HVR-A1U Very Low Audio Gain

Just started editing clips I shot on Monday. I had to boost the audio by 25 to 30 db. The XLR gain was on manual at about 80% of full. This normally gives me hot sound in the park where I was shooting.

I check the XLR and onboard mic. They don't go above -20db in a noisy room with the levels set to 100% (mic & XLR).

I tried resetting the camera, but that made no difference.

Any suggestions before I send it in for service (At least it's still under warranty)?
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #2
Major Player

When will Sony fix my A1U?

It's been nearly a month now, since I shipped my A1U to Sony for repair.

Yesterday was the first time it was checked and the tech said the didn't see anything wrong. He checked it with head phones. After I discribed the problem, the tech said he would take another look.

You'd think they would have better test equipment.

This is really depressing. :-(
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Was there any kind of attenuation used unknowingly while recording to reduce audio gain? It's to be used when incoming signal is too high and it knocks it down to an acceptable range.
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the reply.

I've been shooting with XLR on manual gain with both channels linked and CH Select set to CH1+CH2. The input level was set to mic (not mic att). I also had the Low Cut for input 1 on. I've been using the original shotgun mic.

I didn't check levels on my last shoot, since I didn't plan to use the recorded sound. After capturing the clips, I had to increase gain by 20db to get what I would call normal audio (It was very noisy).

I checked the record meter in my home with a loud TV. With the audio gain set to max (all the way right), the meter would barely reach -20db. I reset the camera and tried again. I got the same results with the XLR and the on board mic.
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

How is audio level when set on auto gain?
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Major Player

I didn't try auto gain, but the Sony tech said he thought the audio was normal. He had only check it in auto gain. I haven't heard anyting new since I indicated I was having problems while using manual gain settings.
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #7
Major Player

It's Back!

My A1U is finally back after a month. The engineer said there was nothing wrong.

??????

Well anyway it appears to be working now. They even replaced my lens hood which had broken bayonet clips (A $75 part).

It’s another chapter in the journal of irreproducible results.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series