Difference between 60 & 50 (1080i) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old August 26th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Difference between 60 & 50 (1080i)

IN FCP Express I see to choose to capture 1080i 60 or 50, is there any difference? I also see 720p 30, whats the point of that? thanks.

I'm on sony hc3
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Major Player

anyone know?
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

They are the framerates that the video follow at.

50 is PAL's framerate, 60 is NTSC's framerate.

720p30 is the format used by a early JVC HDV camera.

You're using an NTSC model so you MUST capture using the 1080i60 preset.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #4
New Boot

Frame rate

Well, 1080i stays for 1080 vertical lines, interlaced. This means each frame is made of two different fields, alternate by halfs (NSTC) or by lines (PAL). However, 50i or 60i mean the nominal frequency of the power system: 60 Hz in the USA and 50 Hz in Europe (and other countries). The frame rates are: 30 frames per second for 60i (60 fields per second) and 25 frames per second for 50i.
720p (30 or 25) is the lower high definition system: 720 vertical lines, but progressive scan: this means: no fields (half frame), but 30 (or 25) frames per second (similar to 24 fps of "old" movies).
Please note that data rate (bits per second) for 1080i and 720p is quite the same (not the definition!).
Milan Stojakovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks for that Milan
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Important question:

Before I got this answer I captured a short project in Codec 1080i50.

My editor has been editing from clips and everythign seems fine. Can something come back to haunt me as it was not captured in Codec 1080i60?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Carter View Post
Important question:

Before I got this answer I captured a short project in Codec 1080i50.

My editor has been editing from clips and everythign seems fine. Can something come back to haunt me as it was not captured in Codec 1080i60?
If your target is PAL then no you have nothing to worry about…
Robert Wiejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry, don't know what that means, if my target is...

I captured it in 50, the clips look fine, editor has made quicktime files. look good, what could be the problem? later when go make DVDs? thanks.

Actually, only thing I see that changes in Easy set up between the 50 & 60 is says Device Control Preset, one is pal other ntsc.

But once it's successfully captured, even mistaking at 50, am i ok now.
I hope I'm clear here.
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

- 50i implies 50 interlaced fields (or 25 frames) per second, meaning PAL timing, encoding, and size (if applicable).
- 60i implies 60 interlaced fields (or 30 frames) per second, meaning NTSC timing, encoding, and size (if applicable).

If this is for your own consumption, then you know what your system is capable of and you have already tested it and found no problems in displaying the content. If you are doing it for a client: Can you guarantee that his equipment will be capable of displaying the same? What if you have 100 clients each with different player/display? Standards are there for a reason. Yes, it is working on your system but don’t count on it 100% of the time.

Do as you wish. My advice to you is: If your target is NTSC then shoot NTSC, etc.
There maybe artistic reasons for shooting at different frame rates and sizes, but the final output should always be converted to your target system.
Don’t relay on the DVD player to convert it for you, each brand, and each model will do it differently. At the end, your client maybe disappointed.

If you do the same for broadcast TV, your material will be refused at the door.
Robert Wiejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Major Player

Robert, I'm the client. although I may want to distribute my own DVD later. Obviuosly this mistake wont happen again. I'm just asking about the current predicament.
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Kevin.........

I may be wrong (I'm sure it will be pointed out in pretty short order if so) but whilst you're playing with your 50i stuff on the pc it will probably look and be fine.

The problem will come when, having burned it to a DVD for display, you post it into a DVD player attached to a NTSC telly, and then it will go extremely unhappy very quick indeed - unless you DVD player/ telly combo can indeed handle PAL 50 signals, which would be suprising indeed seeing as how you live in NTSC 60 land.

(I would add quickly that many PAL systems can indeed handle NTSC encoded stuff, just doesn't seem all that common the other way around)

Don't get me wrong, it won't (er, shouldn't) damage anything, it'll just look, er, sad.

Does this make it any clearer?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #12
Regular Crew

i haven't tried this in final cut but i am fairly convinced that the capture setting needs to be chose to match that of your camera (i.e. NTSC 60i and PAL 50i) and that an incorrect setting means either:

1) it wont capture at all
2) it will capture fine but the file will claim its 50i although it is actually 60i

something like that

there is no way FC is actually performing a conversion. so if you can watch the captured video i would say you have nothing to worry about.
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #13
Trustee

Kevin, if your in the U.S.A ( which i think you are) you need to be in NTSC 60i
If your in Australia you need to be in PAL 50i

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #14
Inner Circle

well , if you do not even know basic stuff about video like framerate, you should get a book a read it before dealing with video editing....
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauritius Seeger View Post
there is no way FC is actually performing a conversion. so if you can watch the captured video i would say you have nothing to worry about.
Fc will always do conversions unless the sequence settings match.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series