I had video on tape, how do I post that on internet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I had video on tape, how do I post that on internet

OK, the camera really really nice. I really enjoy it.
I had video on tape so how can I put on DVD or post on the internet.
Can someone shed some light please.
--JT
John Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

HI John, welcome to DVinfo.net

There are several steps to what we call the 'workflow' for getting your raw footage into the form you can post or burn to DVD.

The first task, is to 'import' or 'capture' your footage into your computer. This can be done by hooking your camera up to your computer through its firewire connection, and using a simple capture/editing program. Could be as simple as WIndows Moviemaker that comes free on all PC's or I'Movie on Macs.

When you plug your camera in, and turn it on, your computer should recognize it and ask you what you want to do. You will have to 'capture' it onto your hard drive. It takes about 13 gigs of hard drive space for every hour of DV that you capture.

Once inside your computer, you will use your editing software. Again, it could be as simple as MovieMaker, or as complex as Avid, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Vegas, Edius or any number of editing application that are available. These are called Non Linnear Editing programs, or NLE's.

The NLE allows you to edit your tape. Cut it shorter, add effects, combine titles or pictures, whatever. Again, it could be as simple as removing the unwanted footage from your 'take'.

Once you have the footage cut the way you like it, you must now 'EXPORT' the footage. You can send it back to your camera, and capture it on tape if you like. You can also send the video directly to a DVD burner that will burn it in real time, just like burning your television shows as you watch them in real time.

OR you can send the footage to ANOTHER PROGRAM for 'compressing' the footage for use on a DVD or on the web. The files as they are, are typically too big to post without some form of compression. SOME NLE's will allow you to simply export the footage as a Quicktime File, or .MOV file, or WMV file, or MPEG2 or MPEG4 file... whatever you desire. Some NLE's will not perform this function, and you must use another 'third party application' to do the compression.

Sites like YouTube prefer your files to be compressed as Quicktime, WMV or Mpeg4 files. Once you send your footage to the other third party application (Like SORENSON SQUEEZE for instance) you tell that software to compress it in the form you want. It takes a while to compress the footage, but when it's done you have the file in the form(s) you have asked for.

From there, you can simply upload or email the smaller files to YouTube or your webiste....

IF you are 'authoring' a DVD, with chapters, and special bonus material and such... you might want to use still ANOTHER third party application. Such as Sonic DVDit, or Toast or numerous other applications. These programs allow you to import the Mpeg2 file you have created, and make chapter points, title pages, and other bonus features. This program then utilizes a DVD burner to BURN the DVD to disc, and it's ready to play on any DVD player.

Hope this was helpful.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you so much for your instruction. I'll give it a try.
Thanks again.
--JT
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

OK, I am struggle to import video from tape to my computer.
So the following are steps I did so far:
1. I had installed the Sony Handy Cam Application software to my computer.
2. Then I connect one end of the firewire to the camcorder and the other end to USB computer.
3.On camera, switch to Play/Edit and select the Memory stick. When select Memory stick, the computer recognize the camcorder.
4. Open the Sony software to import from tape, it shows an error:
"Cannot find the Handycam tape. Check the i.Link connection to the Handycam"
Can someone tell me what I did wrong here?
I have not use the i.Link cable because my DELL computer does not have the i.Link connector. Will the firewire with the other end had USB connector will allow me to import video from tape to my computer?
Please help again....
Thanks alot for your input.
--JT
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

In order to use the i.Link cable, do I need the Video card so I can import video to my computer?
Help please...
--JT
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Major Player

i.Link is another name for firewire.

Turn the handicam settings to 'play' or 'tape' (I forget what it's called) instead of memory stick - the memory stick is just for taking pictures.

Also, look at http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/ at HDVSplit, a program just for copying HDV from your camera, and quite a simple and easy to use program!

Carl
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, when I set the camcorder to Play/Edit, a couple second it will turn to USB Select/Memory Stick. From here I have to select Memory Stick so the computer can recognize the camera connect to PC.
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Did you record to tape, or take pictures on the memory stick?

Memory Stick is the wrong mode for copying tape.

C
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I record to tape.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #10
Major Player

And I'm assuming you're using a Sony HC series? or the A1?

Either which, I believe the proper name is "Play/Edit" for the setting you need to set it to to copy from your camera onto the computer.

Step by step:

1) ****Turn off Camera****** This is *incredibly* important!!!!
2) Plug in Firewire cable.
3) Turn on camera.
4) Open capture software, such as HDVSplit.
5) Use rewind/fast forward/play/record commands on your computer screen in the capture software, or on your camera (this is the same mode you would use to play back footage on the camera to view while not near a computer) to get to the beginning of your footage.
6) Hit record on the software on your computer
7) Enjoy.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You need firewire. You can't capture tape over USB. If you have the USB cable plugged into the cam, that's likely why it kicks over to USB/Mem stick when you set it to Play/Edit.

It will know when it's plugged into Firewire/i.Link.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Adam,
I plug the USB so it picks up the Memory Stick.
I don't have a fire card on my DELL PC so I have to buy one in able to use the firewire. Is this right?
Man, the manual instruction was not user-friendly. It causes some confusing....
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #13
Major Player

He is correct, you need firewire.

I completely missed the fact you said USB and not firewire.... the USB is only for copying the pictures off the memory card, you will need a firewire card to capture the tape.

If it makes you feel any better, I ran into that problem originally myself. :)

C
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Yeah, Sony's documentation is not known for being the best.

If your Dell is fairly recent, it should have Firewire, except they call it IEEE 1394. Firewire is Apple's name; i.Link is Sony's. They're all the same thing.

Note that the Firewire connector on a desktop PC does look a little like a USB plug, except that it will appear to have the corners knocked off at one end rather than being a pure rectangle. The camera end of the cable is the small end that won't match the big end.

If you really don't have a Firewire port, you can get them cheaply anywhere. Then follow Carl's list and you'll be all set. Make sure both PC and camera are powered off when you connect them.

Which camera model do you have? And is your PC a laptop or desktop?

And you'll probably want to consider better software than what came with the camera.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Carl and Adam for all your help.
I just have HDR-HC7. I think it is pretty good. I am still experiment one thing at a time.
I have the DELL Optiplex GX520. I look around but don't see the firewire connector anywhere.
Yes, for the software I plan to get a better one but not sure which one yet.
The Vegas costs around $300 and Adobe Premier around $800 from BHPhoto web site. Which software do you recommend?
--JT
John Tran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series