HC1 color fringing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HC1 color fringing

I was wondering if color fringing was normal for this (or any cam) when using zoom. I noticed that when I am at full zoom, the image there is a distinct green tint on one side of objects and a magenta tint on the other. This is most apparent when I'm trying to fake a DoF shot and have a foreground object in focus and the background blurred - you see the effect most in the blurred area, but the foreground object also doesn't look quite as sharp as it should.

I had thought this was because of a cheap ND filter or CP I was using in the past, but with this particular project I am working on, neither was being used.

Is this just "normal" for this level of camera?
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Strong backlights? I've noticed this "effect" when shooting indoors wiith bright windows - the bright areas seem to have a bit of fringing/CA on the bright dark transition. Haven't noticed it under other conditions though.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Strong backlights? I've noticed this "effect" when shooting indoors wiith bright windows - the bright areas seem to have a bit of fringing/CA on the bright dark transition. Haven't noticed it under other conditions though.
No backlights at all in this case. I was outside on a cloudy day and noticed the fringing on light-colored background objects especially (like a white block wall). I had previously noticed the effect when using an ND filter in conjunction with a CP and thought cheap glass was the culprit. So this time I had nothing attached to the cam.

Take a look:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...orfringing.jpg
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

white wall = "bright", and it's noticeable on that transition to the dark area. Not sure the cause, but seen it a few times. FX7 does it, so it's not necessarily a function of price...

Two possibilities, one being just the inherent challenge of CA (chromatic aberration), the other is that "sharp" transitions in brightness cause a problem for the HDV compression...

I've learned to ignore it when it pops up, although I've seen it quite severe with strong backlighting. Most people will never notice it...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
white wall = "bright", and it's noticeable on that transition to the dark area. Not sure the cause, but seen it a few times. FX7 does it, so it's not necessarily a function of price...

Two possibilities, one being just the inherent challenge of CA (chromatic aberration), the other is that "sharp" transitions in brightness cause a problem for the HDV compression...

I've learned to ignore it when it pops up, although I've seen it quite severe with strong backlighting. Most people will never notice it...
Now this is actually good news to some extent. My concern was that my camera had a problem. However, if this is "normal" than I'm probably okay. I'm in the process of assembling the parts for a 35mm DoF adapter that should resolve this problem (since I will no longer need to zoom in).

Thanks!
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi,

I would consider this color fringing as "normal". This phenomenon is caused because less than perfect lenses, that are "streched" at high zooms. I have noticed the same behavior with my HC-1 already from day one. These lens color aberrations are especially visible with high contrast objects, just as you mention, with backlight objects and high zoom. You have to spend a lot more for the optics that would not show this behavior. That would not have left anything left for the electronics in HC1-1.

You just have to live with this. Not a very serious "problem" for a cam in this price category, but would be a serious flaw in a professional cam. Now you understand also why the optics is interchangeable in pro cams..

Christian
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian de Godzinsky View Post
Hi,

You just have to live with this. Not a very serious "problem" for a cam in this price category, but would be a serious flaw in a professional cam. Now you understand also why the optics is interchangeable in pro cams..

Christian
What's funny is the Sony touts the "Carl Zeiss" lens implying that it is of superior quality. To what is the obvious question, eh?

I'm in the process of building a 35mm adapter so that should solve some issues, assuming a) I get it finished and b) it works as I hope. ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

Good luck with your adapter, would be nice to see and hear how it turned out.

Well, imaging how the image would look WITHOUT the Carl Zeiss optics ;)

Best regards,

Christian

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series