HDR-HC9, A/V Remote Terminal, and LANC - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old September 1st, 2008, 06:48 AM   #46
New Boot

Hurray!

Success! I don't know what I've done wrong earlier, but now it works perfectly.

The schematic is exactly like Tom's first one, 3 as a ground and the resistor between pins 7 and 8. And the device is Lanc Shepherd, camera CX-6.
Riku Naskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #47
New Boot

Sony AV/R LanC and Tripods

New member here. Posting my first message.
I have enjoyed reading your posts on the development of an adapter to enable you to continue to use you standard LanC remotes with the new Sony AV/R connector.

I have learned a few things.
Sony has three remote tripods.

VCT 50AV List price $80 at B&H $56
VCT 80AV List Price $180 at B&H $122
VCT-1170RM List $499 at B&H $315

I called Sony and asked them for the part number for the remote handle on all three of these tripods. The 50 AV and the 80AV both take the exact same remote handle. The price of the replacement part is $116.95 (yes, that is $36.95 more than the 50AV tripod itself). The remote on the 1170 RM Looks identical to the others; however, it has the old style LanC connector (2.5mm stereo). The remote for the VCT-1170RM costs $161.95.

I own the VCT80AV. The zoom control with this remote is very nice. It is continiusly variable and offers a lot of control, none of the instant on and off stuff I got with their clip on, 2 speed remotes. I liked it well enough that I ordered two of the 50AV tripods just for the remotes. (These tripods have a lot of plastic including the gear on the center column. The proper thing to do with these tripods is to harvest the remote and toss the rest, although I may remove the 'non-removable' fluid head and adapt it for use on another tripod.) The remote is the entire handle and can be used on almost any tripod. The handle is 10mm in dia. and fits my Davis and Sanborn FL12 fluid head just fine (had to make a spacer).

I plan to take one of the remotes and patch in a standard 2.5mm stereo connector for use on my Sony HDR-FX1. The others will be used on my HDR-SR11's (I only have two).

The VCT 50AV costs $10 less than the adaptor cable from Extreme Recall.

I found a pinout diagram here: The SONY LANC protocol
It differes slightly from the pictures published here.

My question: Has anyone spliced in a standard 2.5mm Stereo connector on one of the remotes for the VCT 80AV or the VCT 50AV? If so, how did it work?

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Hi Paul -

Sounds to me like the "AV" remotes have an improved zoom function over the old 2 speed standard Sony arrangement (I've got several Sony remotes with that approach).

You should be able to splice in a 2.5mm and it should work fine (I'd suggest making it a "two headed snake" - that way it should work with both cameras as needed). AFAIK, while a LANC using the A/V jack requires the dropping resistor to signal the A/V port to expect the LANC information, I believe that connecting the tip/ring/sleeve in the correct order should allow an AV series to be backwards compatible with the 2.5mm jack/plug.

The German LANC diagrams look right, although the sleeve (ground) can also connect to the pin BETWEEN the two LANC pins (pin 3). He's got it showing pin 8, which can be either ground or no connection, so it may vary from one Sony product to another. My reverse engineering has it on pin 3.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #49
New Boot

VCT 50AV Remote Modification

Thanks Dave,

I have already ordered the 2.5mm stereo connectors (actually two) both the plug and the jack. I plan to cut the wire on the remote and attach the plug to the end with the remote and the jack to the end with the Sony mini-D 10 pin connector. This will allow me to use it with either style camcorder.

I read earlier today that the LanC technology was developed to start and stop multiple cameras at the same time (helps with sychronization in post production).

Has anyone heard of a wireless system to do this? I have a multi camera shoot coming up on late May.

Connecting a single remote, using only the record button, to a splitter and then connecting to two camcorders could be interesting.

Thanks,

Paul
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:55 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Minor flaw, the AV version of the LANC controller requires a dropping/signal resistor between two of the pins, and I'd suspect the resistor is at the controller end of the cable... meaning if you cut the cable, you wouldn't be able to use it with the A/V end again. There is a slim chance they put the resistor in the molded plug, but I doubt it. When you open the cable, I'd carefully remove the outer sheath (the thin black that keeps the wires bundled inside together). If there are more than 3 wires, the 2.5mm will come up short on conductors.

You might be able to put the resistor inside the jack side of the 2.5mm, I was fiddling with making the whole adapter in a single compact molded assembly, so that probably would work.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM   #51
New Boot

Correction: VCT-1170RM

After doing additional research the remote handle on the VCT-1170RM tripod from Sony is not identical to those on the VCT-50 AV and VCT-80AV (except for the connector).

The VCT-1170RM has the wide angle and telephoto reversed from what they are on the VCT-50AV.

Reviews at B&h Photo Video indicate that this tripod is not worth the money and the remote is not satisfactory.

I personally plan to convert a remote for the VCT-50AV for the old style LanC 2.5mm Stereo connector.
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #52
New Boot

Update: Adapting VCT-50AV remote to HDR-FX1 with standard LanC

I received the last of my three VCT-50AV tripods today. I cut off the end of the cord (10 Pin AV/R connector) and repled it with a standard 2.5mm stereo connector.

It worked.

I have a DCR-SR62 Handycam that takes both the standard LanC and the AV/R connector.
When I cut the end off (made it 6" shorter), I pluged both the cut off AV/R connector and the 2.5mm stereo connector into the DCR-SR62. I used an ohm meter to test for continuity between the wires I had cut off and the 2.5mm connector.

The remote had three insulted wires plus a ground.

The white wire goes to the tip.
The red wire goes to the center.
The uninsulated ground was connected to the base.
The black wire is not used.

The DCR-SR62 turned on and off with the remote. It zoomed in and out, and the slow zoom worked as well. The guide frame was not launched when I pressed that button mostly because the camera does not have that feature. I did not attempt to record or take a still picture.

I put it on my HDR-FX1 and all the zoom features work. The camera turned on and off, started and stopped recording, etc. with this remote.

The guide frame did not work; however, I am new enough to this camera that I don't know if it has that feature.

It looks like everything is working fine.
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #53
New Boot

Sony 10-pin A/V & LANC plug

Created this diagram for some work I've been doing and deciding to share it here. I've compared both a genuine sony breakout cable and a $4 Chinese rip-off to have the same pinout. The Chinese version has higher resistance, lower quality cable, and weaker finger connectors, but it does work.

Regards,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
HDR-HC9, A/V Remote Terminal, and LANC-sony_10pin_diagram.png  
Brian Dombrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #54
Tourist

Re: HDR-HC9, A/V Remote Terminal, and LANC

I have been reading information regarding your sucess at getting a cable made which plugs into a D shaped A/V connector on newer Sony camcorders. I have the Sony tripod with the D shaped connector on the end of the remote control wire. I am aware that on the internet there is an adaptor made that allows having D shaped 10 pin plugged in the camera, and breaks out to audio and video RCA cables and mini 3 pin jack which was the old LAC standard.

Here is my question if I cut the end off the remote control ( D A/V male will I be able to attach a mini 3 pin, and plug it into the adaptor cable on cable with the A/V out will the remote functions still work. Off/On Zoom in and out, etc.

I really appreciate any info you can give because the forum on this subject seems to have been closed since 2009. it is now March 27, 2011

Vincent
Vince Krent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Hi,

That should be totally possible by following the info in this thread. Check also:

Sony LANC interface pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

Simply cut away the mini D-connector from the cable (leave a short stub of cable 1..2 inch at the cut-away connector end). Leaving the stub makes it possible to do some measurements afterwards.

Simply solder a 2,5mm stereo LANC plug to the cable, following the connection instructions you will find above. The LANC protocol is still the same, independent of the type of connector. If you have not soldered before, ask someone that has to help you.

Cheers,

Christian
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Before you cut the cable, you might want to try plugging into the A/V jack on the HC9 - it SHOULD work just fine, as the sports packs use the "D" plug/jack... it's parallel to the "old style" 2.5mm LANC interface.

Let us know if that doesn't work, but I don't think you need to get out the cutters and soldering iron!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series