L. Kingston's Custom A1U - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 12th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #151
Major Player

The reason I want a filter as protection different from a lens cap is because I want to film in dusty/dirty conditions such as out at sea.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #152
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
1) Which front element do you mean, that of the camera, filter or of the wide-angle lens? Does manual focus solve this (I guess so)?.
The front-glass element of the WA 0.7x convertor. When shooting into the sun (or approx. in that direction) any dust on the surface of the WA lens will reflect the sunlight ("flare out") and the camera *could* focus on that instead of the actual shot. (at wide-angle end, not telephoto).
Either way it'll be visible so keep the front of your WA lens very clean.
Manual focus would indeed fix it, but that's a bit of a pain to be constantly adjusting manual focus. Just keep all lens surfaces clean, and if you're shooting in low-ish bright sunlight, use your other hand to shield the front of the lens from the sun. You should easily be able to see on the LCD screen when you need to do this.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #153
Major Player

I have decided to opt for 37mm filters as they, as confirmed by Stu, show no vignetting in video mode (only a little in photo mode). Furthermore, it makes the set up cheaper and above all, lower in weight/size. A matt box or something would make it far less portable. The HDR-HC1 is a learning camera for me which I intend to use for learning purposes to get familiar with cinematography, editing and thinking about visual motion. I am addicted to getting everything, which I figured is not needed. With some filters and a good day/field bag and some cleaning materials, I am ready for my vacation as well as the documentary about my grandmother. The polariser is a certainity, as well as the ND filter. I am only not sure if I go for the 4x, or for the 2x, 4x and 8x ND filter. Not sure if it makes much difference. BH recommended me the 4x filter, which seems logical to me.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #154
Inner Circle

The 4x ND will soak 2 stops and is probably the most useful to have. Your HC1 has an automatic internal ND to stop the lens shooting at apertures smaller than f/8, so if it's bright that internal filter could well do with some help in the form of the 4x you'll screw up front. Of course you can stack filters but it's not recommended.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #155
Major Player

I have one other question. The circular polariser can be turned around for a different effect. If it is attached to the Sony Y lens, how do I turn it around? I do not completely understand how this mechanism will work.
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #156
Inner Circle

The polariser will take some getting used to. It'll soak 1.5 stops and it's polarising effects are determined by where you stand in relation to the sun and where the filter is rotated to on your camera. It's a bit of suck-it-and-see, but the good thing is our v'finders are wysiwyg devices working at taking aperture, so you do get some indication of what the filter is doing for you.

tom.
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #157
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
The polariser will take some getting used to. It'll soak 1.5 stops and it's polarising effects are determined by where you stand in relation to the sun and where the filter is rotated to on your camera. It's a bit of suck-it-and-see, but the good thing is our v'finders are wysiwyg devices working at taking aperture, so you do get some indication of what the filter is doing for you.

tom.
As always, many thanks for your great advice. When I have all my gear and did some shoots / productions, I hope to give some feedback back to this board as everyone here has been of great value for me right from the start.

I have on more question. If I manually set the shutter speed to 1/30 of a second, the camera cannot control the light with the shutter anymore, but only by changing the iris, or in dark situations, increase gain. In a place with lots of sun, like italy, it seems logical to me that I do need the 8x ND filter as well, as the 1/30 shutter speed is pretty low. I remember that with my DSLR, in bright sunlight, 1/1000 - 1/2000 is a common shutter speed. That's 6 or 7 stops of sunlight from the 1/30 I might use.
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #158
Inner Circle

Why are you shooting at 1/30th sec? You're NTSC, right? Shoot at 1/60th unless you're after some special effect. You'll get better quality footage.

Your camera has an inbuilt ND that will soak 3 stops. The aperture blades close to f/4 as it gets brighter, then they stay at f/4 as it gets even brighter, the internal ND pretending that the lens is going to f/5.6, then f/8 then f/11. If it gets brighter still, the aperture starts to close again, going to f.5.6 (equal to f/16) then f/8 (its smallest actual aperture, equal to f/22).

It's for this reason that I believe an ND4 will be all that you require. Alternatively you could up the shutter speed to 1/125th sec and not bother with external ND.

Have fun in Italy. I've been to Venice three times and you just can't stop shooting, believe me.

tom.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #159
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
I have one other question. The circular polariser can be turned around for a different effect. If it is attached to the Sony Y lens, how do I turn it around? I do not completely understand how this mechanism will work.
You screw polarizer onto camera, then the Y lens onto the polariser (slightly fiddly as half the polarizer is fixed, and half is free-rotating.) and so to rotate the filter, you simply rotate the Y lens. Make sure that the filter is screwed in *relatively* well onto the camera. you do not want to be inadvertantly *unscrewing* the pol filter when you´re rotating the Y lens and have the Y lens drop to the ground....
But don't overtighten the pol filter - its quite easy for it to go on TOO tight and then a real PITA to get off. I know - i´ve sliced skin off my fingers trying to get a too-tight filter off before. If you can - buy a 37mm filter-wrench before you go. It´s simple and effective. Try B&H or a good photo store as cheapNcrappy stores won´t have a clue what you´re talking about !
If you can´t get a 37mm filter wrench i recommend a thickish rubber band round the pol filter before you attach Y lens. Helps get it off if it´s stubborn.

Max. polarization is when you are shooting about 90degrees to the sun´s rays. i.e. sun is approx. left or right of you. When sun is directly in front or directly behind there´s little pol effect. But you just shoot any angle you want - it´s not an exact science at all.
Rotate the filter slowly and look at LCD and you should see the effect vary.
Don´t forget to take the filter off after day shoots - if you´re doing evening / twilight filming there´s no pol effect and all it´s doing is absorbing 1.5stops of light which is not good (especially with A1!) So remember to take it off when sun´s gone. Also there´ll be very little to no effect at all or a cloudy day. Try it out on surface of water (eg a boat trip). It can give good reduction in reflections, making water look deeper /darker / nicer.

Recommend you use all this new gear before you depart. - you want to concentrate on the subject when you're there, not trying to figure out new equipment.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #160
Regular Crew

Hey Laurence, or anybody.
I have an A1 and have been trying different matte boxes and sun shades; including the LH77, all of which I am not satisfied with. Century optics looks like they have a nice sun shade, but I can't find the correct step down ring.
Could you please tell me which adapter ring to use with this century sun shade ? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=274303&is=REG
Thanks, Lou
Lou Squitieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #161
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
You screw polarizer onto camera, then the Y lens onto the polariser (slightly fiddly as half the polarizer is fixed, and half is free-rotating.) and so to rotate the filter, you simply rotate the Y lens. Make sure that the filter is screwed in *relatively* well onto the camera. you do not want to be inadvertantly *unscrewing* the pol filter when youīre rotating the Y lens and have the Y lens drop to the ground....
But don't overtighten the pol filter - its quite easy for it to go on TOO tight and then a real PITA to get off. I know - iīve sliced skin off my fingers trying to get a too-tight filter off before. If you can - buy a 37mm filter-wrench before you go. Itīs simple and effective. Try B&H or a good photo store as cheapNcrappy stores wonīt have a clue what youīre talking about !
If you canīt get a 37mm filter wrench i recommend a thickish rubber band round the pol filter before you attach Y lens. Helps get it off if itīs stubborn.

Max. polarization is when you are shooting about 90degrees to the sunīs rays. i.e. sun is approx. left or right of you. When sun is directly in front or directly behind thereīs little pol effect. But you just shoot any angle you want - itīs not an exact science at all.
Rotate the filter slowly and look at LCD and you should see the effect vary.
Donīt forget to take the filter off after day shoots - if youīre doing evening / twilight filming thereīs no pol effect and all itīs doing is absorbing 1.5stops of light which is not good (especially with A1!) So remember to take it off when sunīs gone. Also thereīll be very little to no effect at all or a cloudy day. Try it out on surface of water (eg a boat trip). It can give good reduction in reflections, making water look deeper /darker / nicer.

Recommend you use all this new gear before you depart. - you want to concentrate on the subject when you're there, not trying to figure out new equipment.
All my gear is underway at this moment. The only two things I did not buy at this moment are the polarizer and the fluid video head for my tripod. The rest is awaiting shipping at BH Photo Video. As the Cavision LH77 is a special order, it might take a little longer to get here.
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #162
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Squitieri
Hey Laurence, or anybody.
I have an A1 and have been trying different matte boxes and sun shades; including the LH77, all of which I am not satisfied with. Century optics looks like they have a nice sun shade, but I can't find the correct step down ring.
Could you please tell me which adapter ring to use with this century sun shade ? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=274303&is=REG
Thanks, Lou
Interesting. I just ordered the LH77, as I reckon it is the cheapest and most used option available. If there are other, better options I am interesed. You say you also used matt boxes, can you tell me something about that? How well did this work and why do you not use it anymore?
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #163
Regular Crew

I tried a chrosziel 4x4 matte box with 104mm opening. However, 77mm of the Sony WA seems to be and odd size to step down. I could not find the proper adapter, plus this matte box is over kill. I also trie a Century optics sun shade, 4x4, Model #FH4400. I can get this sunshade to fit with 2 rubberbands, but that seems too Mickey Mouse, plus the position and the size of the filter opening seems to be to small for the lens. I like the shape of the LH77 because the sunshade flares open immediaterly as it leaves the lens, thereby decreasing the chance of any vignetting. What I didn't like is that it has 1 set screw to hold it on rather than a CLAMP. Because the sunshade is made of rubber, the set screw distorts the the sunshade when you tighten it. On a tripod, it works fine, but I think if you were shooting on a windy day, it would fall off. It's just not heavy duty enough for me.
Now the Century optic sunshade #DSFA8200, looks like the LH77, but it is made of metal. It also has a CLAMP.
So, I will put this question out again- Does anyone know where I can get an adapter ring that fits this sunshade to match the 77mm WA?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=274303&is=REG
Lou Squitieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #164
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Squitieri
So, I will put this question out again- Does anyone know where I can get an adapter ring that fits this sunshade to match the 77mm WA?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=274303&is=REG

Lou, the answer you're looking for is on the FIRST PAGE of this thread. Lawrence used that very same sunshade (the Century Optics DSFA8200) and this item:

7) Stepdown ring from www.cavision.com
Ask for the one to step down from their LH80 M/P lens hood to a Sony VCL-HG0737Y wide angle lens. The Cavision LH80 M/P also has an internal diameter of 80mm.

I'd suggest calling them and asking for what Lawrence posted.

Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #165
Regular Crew

Only slightly less Mickey Mouse

Lou,
I have/had the same problem with fitting the Cent. Opt. 8200 sunshade to the A1U/Sony 737Y lens. It was originally purchase for my VX2100 and a Cent Optics wide angle which it fits perfectly on. I have been following this thread all along hoping for a solution for the A1U and this sunshade. I searched myself and was unable to find a step down ring anywhere but am not convinced one doesn't exist.

I noticed that the sunshade fit on the Sony 737Y lens if the lens cap was on so I called Sony and ordered an extra lens cap. I believe it was right around $30 shipped. When I got it I cut out the center so that just the part that fits on the outside of the lense was left. Slip that on the lens and then the sun shade onto that and I have a stable fit.
I don't know that this is a reasonable solution if you have not purchased anything yet but for me, already having the sunshade it made sense.
Bret Corbin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series