Wide Angle lens for HC1/A1U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 24th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thames
From the way you describe it, I wouldn't call the Raynox a full-zoom through lens then (unless that's the technical definition of it). From how I've understood it, if the picture gets noticeably blurry (or blurry) on the sides as you zoom in more, then it's not full-zoom through. The Y lens doesn't get noticeably blurry at any zoom position so I consider it a full-zoom through lens. I'm not really disagreeing or agreeing with you on the quality of the Raynox lens - I'm just saying that someone on this board once said that the Raynox was better, but I don't remember who, so I thought I'd throw that out and for those interested, they could do a search on it.
Hi Alex,

I have had other lenses that were not zoom thru and when you tried to zoom the image became blurry everywhere - including the center of the image. I love the .5x magnification of the Raynox. On a Windjammer sailing ship, the .5x Raynox enabled me to get all 3 mast-with all those white sails against the deep blue sky - a great shot and it is very sharp. I could not get all that in with the .7x Sony. If you keep it near the wide end its a great lens. I'm sure some of the blurring is do to the limits of optical design - ie its harder to make a .5x versus a .7x. I tried to keep the lens clean, but some of it may have been due to salt spray. If you can - try shooting some footage with the different lenses/focal lengths to see which one fits your needs best. Good Luck - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I use an Raynox HD5005 pro on my HC1 too: I confirm that from 0.5 to 90/95% of the max. full zoom, the focus is kept correctly and all the picture stays sharp. After, the borders become obviously less sharp than the center.

But even if a Sony x0.7 (VCL-HG0737X or Y model) is perfect at any zoom position, I will not change my Raynox: it is not only x0.5, instead of x0.7 for the Sony's models, but it weighs only 110g against... 320g for the Sony's ones. At the end of the day in action without a tripod, you fill the difference!

The Raynox HD5005 stays now full time attached to my HC1...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series