Wide Angle lens for HC1/A1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Wide Angle lens for HC1/A1U

Does anyone know if the older Sony VCL-0637H lens will work with the HC1/A1U?
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gehrke
Does anyone know if the older Sony VCL-0637H lens will work with the HC1/A1U?
It will work, but the corners of the picture will not be very sharp.
Jerome Marot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I used the VCL-0637H lens with my Digital8 and then continued using it when I bought my HC1. It works with the camera but the lens is a piece of crap. At $15 you get what you pay for. The picture is VERY blurry around edges. Don't bother with it.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Rick,
I'm really curious...where did you find the VCL-0637H for $15.00? Or did you mean...Don't waste a $15.00 tape using it.
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #5
Tourist

Bill,
Check out this frame grab taken with the A1U and the VCL-0637H conversion lens and see what they mean about the blurred corners. It's very annoying indeed...
Attached Thumbnails
Wide Angle lens for HC1/A1U-colares.jpg  
Mauricio Galdieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ah, for some reason I thought I paid $15 for the lens. I think I paid more like $50. $15 or 50, it's still not worth the time with an A1 or HC1.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would have to agree!

I have an HC1.

I bought my VCL-0637H on eBay for $20 (including shipping) since I don't have the $$ to spend on the more expensive (but worth it) Wide Angle lenses from Sony.

Got what I paid for! Ha!

The edges will smear.

If you are using it for home video and/or things that don't require the type of quality the HC1 or A1U can give you then use the lens.
But if that's the case, why would you have one of those cams in the first place!

Anyway, in my opinion, get the lens if you can't afford a better one or just save up for a lens like the Sony VCL-HG0737Y
Charlie Vankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Check out the Raynox wideangle lens too. Some say they are better than the Sony Y lens in terms of glass quality and color aberrations.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Who says so? I have the Raynox 0.5 (hd500pro) and it's good but not great, some smoothing in the corners.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:47 AM   #10
Major Player

"Who says so? I have the Raynox 0.5 (hd500pro) and it's good but not great, some smoothing in the corners."
I second that Mikko. The Raynox HD-5005PRO is nice and wide at 0.5x. The image is very good at full wide, but as you zoom the corners become quite fuzzy. The more you zoom the greater the portion of the image that is blurry. It is suppose to be a full zoom thru, and must be cause the center of the image stays in focus. The Sony - Y lens is only 0.7x, but stays sharp throughout the image area at all levels of zoom.
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Don't know about the zoom-through capabilities of the Raynox, but I was told they are better when in focus than the Y lens because of superior glass, so less color aberrations or something. This is unconfirmed on my part. I only have the Y lens.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Trustee

I have the Raynox HD3030PRO for my HC1.

At full wideangle it gives a very sharp image (although with considerable curvilinear distortion). Unfortunately, as soon as you begin to zoom in the edges go soft.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thames
Don't know about the zoom-through capabilities of the Raynox, but I was told they are better when in focus than the Y lens because of superior glass, so less color aberrations or something. This is unconfirmed on my part. I only have the Y lens.

The Raynox is FULL ZOOM THROUGH, but even their spec sheet only lists sharpness "at the center." All lenses-even the one built on the camera are sharper at the center then they are at the edges. However, with a good lens the difference is not noticeable. Any "accessory" screw on lens will not perform as good as a prime lens. My Raynox is very sharp at full wide, but as you zoom the lack of sharpness at the edges becomes significant and progressively moves to fill more of the image as you zoom. This is not because I'm not maintaining focus or a loss of focus - cause the center is still sharp. At full zoom only the center of the image is sharp, the rest is VERY blurry. Because of this I recently purchased the Sony "Y" lens (don't recall the full model #). I have only played with it a little bit, but it seems to maintain a much sharper image across the frame when you zoom with it. Hope that clearifies what I meant in my previous post. Have a Great Day :) - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #14
Major Player

From the way you describe it, I wouldn't call the Raynox a full-zoom through lens then (unless that's the technical definition of it). From how I've understood it, if the picture gets noticeably blurry (or blurry) on the sides as you zoom in more, then it's not full-zoom through. The Y lens doesn't get noticeably blurry at any zoom position so I consider it a full-zoom through lens. I'm not really disagreeing or agreeing with you on the quality of the Raynox lens - I'm just saying that someone on this board once said that the Raynox was better, but I don't remember who, so I thought I'd throw that out and for those interested, they could do a search on it.
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #15
Major Player

But we are comparing the hd5005 which is a 0.5x lens. Not a 0.7x. It is less sturdy than the 0.7x wides.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series