DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   A1U zoom setting trick (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/96850-a1u-zoom-setting-trick.html)

Jason Donaldson June 18th, 2007 08:03 PM

A1U zoom setting trick

Most of you might already know about this, but as a new A1U owner I didn't know. I actually found this on another forum tonight, and thought I would share it for those that might not know.

If you really need precise, extremely slow zooms, do the following:

Turn off "steadyshot", and turn on "full scan". Now try zooming! It takes my A1U about 1 minute and 20 seconds to zoom from full wide to full zoom!

I also assigned steadyshot to my assign button for easier access to it.

Larry Price June 19th, 2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson (Post 698785)
Most of you might already know about this, but as a new A1U owner I didn't know. I actually found this on another forum tonight, and thought I would share it for those that might not know.

If you really need precise, extremely slow zooms, do the following:

Turn off "steadyshot", and turn on "full scan". Now try zooming! It takes my A1U about 1 minute and 20 seconds to zoom from full wide to full zoom!

I also assigned steadyshot to my assign button for easier access to it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't know about it. Thanks for the tip! I've got the Bogen/Manfrotto 531 LANC controller that I use with sticks or a Spiderbrace. It allows much finer control over the zoom speed. But, I'll have to give your tip a try and see how things work.

I'm still pretty new to the A1U myself. Unfortunately, life has been cutting into my "play" time more than I'd like.

Aloha

Victor Wilcox June 19th, 2007 07:59 AM

I gave it a try last night. Steady shot off, full scan on. My zoom speed didn't change. I tried control over the record button and the one on the LCD panel. Am I missing something?

Sounds like a great tip. I'm just wondering if works for all A1Us.

Mikko Lopponen June 19th, 2007 10:36 AM

Try the zoom lever. Works for the hc1 by going to the shot transition mode first.

Jason Donaldson June 19th, 2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Wilcox (Post 699035)
I gave it a try last night. Steady shot off, full scan on. My zoom speed didn't change. I tried control over the record button and the one on the LCD panel. Am I missing something?

Sounds like a great tip. I'm just wondering if works for all A1Us.

I noticed that if you don't have a very soft touch, it won't make a difference. You have to feather the zoom lever in order to get the extremely slow zoom

Alex Thames June 21st, 2007 01:39 PM

No, on the A1, a soft touch doesn't work. The softest touch will get you a max slow zoom of 10 seconds if you don't play with some settings. There are many, many settings you can turn on/off (not just the ones listed in this thread) to achieve a slower zoom of 26 seconds. This is a flaw of the A1.

Jason Donaldson June 21st, 2007 07:16 PM

I'm telling you, turn on full scan, and turn off steady shot. Then just use the zoom lever with the slightest touch, and I mean SLIGHTEST and you will get the slowest zoom you have ever seen. It is hardly even noticable it is so slow. My zoom, with these settings, and a soft touch on the lever, takes 1 minute and 20 seconds, and that's with digital zoom off.

If your using your zoom lever normally, then no you won't get the slow zoom I am describing here. The key is an extremely soft touch.

Peter Rhalter June 27th, 2007 12:50 PM

I tried this out and the slowest zoom I can get is around 40 seconds, which is still pretty slow.

Best wishes,
Peter

Jason Donaldson June 30th, 2007 07:22 AM

Maybe the firmware is different on various models...I just love this zoom