A1U zoom setting trick at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A1U zoom setting trick

Most of you might already know about this, but as a new A1U owner I didn't know. I actually found this on another forum tonight, and thought I would share it for those that might not know.

If you really need precise, extremely slow zooms, do the following:

Turn off "steadyshot", and turn on "full scan". Now try zooming! It takes my A1U about 1 minute and 20 seconds to zoom from full wide to full zoom!

I also assigned steadyshot to my assign button for easier access to it.
Jason Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
Most of you might already know about this, but as a new A1U owner I didn't know. I actually found this on another forum tonight, and thought I would share it for those that might not know.

If you really need precise, extremely slow zooms, do the following:

Turn off "steadyshot", and turn on "full scan". Now try zooming! It takes my A1U about 1 minute and 20 seconds to zoom from full wide to full zoom!

I also assigned steadyshot to my assign button for easier access to it.
I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't know about it. Thanks for the tip! I've got the Bogen/Manfrotto 531 LANC controller that I use with sticks or a Spiderbrace. It allows much finer control over the zoom speed. But, I'll have to give your tip a try and see how things work.

I'm still pretty new to the A1U myself. Unfortunately, life has been cutting into my "play" time more than I'd like.

Aloha
Larry Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Major Player

I gave it a try last night. Steady shot off, full scan on. My zoom speed didn't change. I tried control over the record button and the one on the LCD panel. Am I missing something?

Sounds like a great tip. I'm just wondering if works for all A1Us.
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Try the zoom lever. Works for the hc1 by going to the shot transition mode first.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wilcox View Post
I gave it a try last night. Steady shot off, full scan on. My zoom speed didn't change. I tried control over the record button and the one on the LCD panel. Am I missing something?

Sounds like a great tip. I'm just wondering if works for all A1Us.

I noticed that if you don't have a very soft touch, it won't make a difference. You have to feather the zoom lever in order to get the extremely slow zoom
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Major Player

No, on the A1, a soft touch doesn't work. The softest touch will get you a max slow zoom of 10 seconds if you don't play with some settings. There are many, many settings you can turn on/off (not just the ones listed in this thread) to achieve a slower zoom of 26 seconds. This is a flaw of the A1.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm telling you, turn on full scan, and turn off steady shot. Then just use the zoom lever with the slightest touch, and I mean SLIGHTEST and you will get the slowest zoom you have ever seen. It is hardly even noticable it is so slow. My zoom, with these settings, and a soft touch on the lever, takes 1 minute and 20 seconds, and that's with digital zoom off.

If your using your zoom lever normally, then no you won't get the slow zoom I am describing here. The key is an extremely soft touch.
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I tried this out and the slowest zoom I can get is around 40 seconds, which is still pretty slow.

Best wishes,
Peter
Old June 30th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Maybe the firmware is different on various models...I just love this zoom

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series