Sony HG1758 teleconvertor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 10th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony HG1758 teleconvertor

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody out there is using the Sony VCL-HG1758 1.7x telephoto adapotor on an FX7 or V1, and what experiences they have had?

My main concerns are how much vignetting will occur and whether or not it will be passable quality for HD.

I'll only use it about 10-20% of the time when shooting very distant surfers. I know it'll need a good tripod steady hand but I'm used to that because i used to shoot on a pana GS400 with a 3x extender (36x zoom total) so I'm well practiced with a very long lens.

Thanks in advance,

John
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #2
Trustee

John,

I would be interested to see how this works, but I'm not willing to spend £250 to take the gamble!

This is a 58mm lens, compared to the 62mm of the V1/FX7 (so it would need a step-up ring) but there must be something in it to make the Century 1.5x lens cost £700, or the 2.0x cost £1000! The 16x9 1.5x converter is slightly cheaper, still over £600 though.

I can only presume that there is a very good reason for these guys to charge so much. I've been tempted by the Raynox and other cheaper lenses, but their sample shots really put me off, the quality isn't there.

I fear I will just have to wait until next Christmas!
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #3
Trustee

I agree that these lenses are expensive... but I have the chance of picking one up for >$200 BNIB. Compared to $750 From my local sony store that is a steal.

I read in another post that the HG1758 vignetted at up to about 45% (5-6X) zoom on the VX2100 with it's 58mm threads... so should I at least have some breathing room on the FX7? Maybe vignette free over about 13x?

I think i would buy a second camera rather than the Century 2x. Lets see, for $2300 i could get a decent B-cam setup... Maybe a HC9 with the sports housing, WA, a few spare batteries, and a nice bag to put it all in.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Major Player

When I upgraded my Canon XM2 for a Sony V1E, I tried my Century 58mm 2X convertor with a 58/62mm stepping ring. The vignetting (to my surprise) was no worse than with the Canon, but the focus and resolution was all over the place.

Unless the lens was fully stopped down, only the centre area was fully sharp, and the left hand side of the field of view was very bad.

I hurriedly abandoned this and bought the proper Century 2x at nearly £1000. This is a superb piece of glassware. It still vignettes below around 60% zoom, but the resolution is first rate and the colour balance is excellent. The only downside is the weight – at nearly 1 kg it distorts the front of the camera unless the convertor is supported – fortunately it comes with an adaptor for the standard 15 mm rails; though I adapted this to fit a self-made camera support which cost me around £6.

The convertor also comes with a superb lens hood.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7