XLR Audio on FX7 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 6th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #1
New Boot

XLR Audio on FX7 ?

Hola!

i've been using the sony fx7 for almost a year and i'm thinking of buying an shotgun mic for my next projects (mostly documentary).
Knowing that the fx7 has no XLR connection(s), which audiokit would you guys recommand?

Would an xlr to 1/8" adapter with a directional mic do the trick? Will the quality be good enough? What about the powering? Phantom or battery? Which microphone would be best for documentary shooting? Is it mountable on the fx7?

All experiences and tips are welcome.

Kenneth
Kenneth Michiels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds like you could use a Beachtek bolt-on. Go here and watch the little video as it explains a lot:

BeachTek DXA-4 and DXA-4s Dual XLR Adapter

Once you have one of these long cable runs are no problem, you'll have independent level controls for both channels and it can be carried camera to camera.

You ask, 'Which microphone would be best for documentary shooting?' but that's a helluva wide question. Are you conducting interviews or filming Formula One?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #3
New Boot

Mostly ambient sound and interviews :)

Thanks for the help so far!
Kenneth Michiels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Trustee

Simple solution...Like suggested pickup an XLR adapter box and feed it through your cameras 1/8 mic port.

But, don't get the Beachtek...It's ok, but I would recommend picking up a Juicedlink CX211 (no phantom power) or CX231 (with phantom power).

Juicedlink XLR Adapter Boxes

The Beachteks are alright, but most of their units have passive pre amps (no pre amps). And as such the audio has more audio noise (hiss).

The Juicedlink boxes ALL have active low noise pre amps, and the difference is easy to hear, as the Beachtek boxes are much noisier.

While Beachtek does off an active pre amp box, it's much more expensive than the Juicedlink. And the quality difference is minimal to none.
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

'Ambient sound and interviews' would suggest that if you're a lone worker you'll need a short shotgun on camera feeding one channel and a radio mic plugged into the other channel, and this is a very useful combination.

I like my Sennheiser ME66 in its Rycote Softie as I can shoot in strong winds without trouble and the Rycote isolation mount locks down onto my cold shoe. I have the Sony and Sennheiser radio mics - both fine and incredibly useful and versatile.

But have a look at the Rode mics too - they're very good value and have had rave press reviews.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Michiels View Post
Hola!

i've been using the sony fx7 for almost a year and i'm thinking of buying an shotgun mic for my next projects (mostly documentary).
Knowing that the fx7 has no XLR connection(s), which audiokit would you guys recommand?

Would an xlr to 1/8" adapter with a directional mic do the trick? Will the quality be good enough? What about the powering? Phantom or battery? Which microphone would be best for documentary shooting? Is it mountable on the fx7?

All experiences and tips are welcome.

Kenneth
Is Ghent in Belgium?

Have a look at this: (Shotgun MCE 86 S II Cam)

Video / film microphones

I'm using three of there models and are happy with them
If you need an online store with good prices, just ask

Beyerdynamics is rated higher in Europe as other firms.

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I use a Juiced Link CX231 with my FX7.

Best XLR to Mini adapter...
AWESOME pre amps.

Better than this only the highest end JL (CX471), that costs almost two times the price of the 231.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Does the xlr straight to 1/8 inch cord (such as the MIT-156) work well if the mic is battery powered?

Hosa Technology | MIT-156 Low to High Impedance | MIT-156 | B&H

Obviously you wouldn't have much control over the sound....but would it work alright?
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Major Player

I've been thinking of getting a Zoom H4 as a Swiss Army Knife of sorts. It has a decent set of mics on it; X-Y cardioids angled that can be set to simulate the sound of a Shure SM57, Sennheiser MD-421, Neumann U 87, or AKG 414. It has XLR and 1/4" mic inputs with phantom power.

It's a digital recorder that can be plugged into the camera or as a backup audio capture. Something I like is that it'll work as a poor man's interference free wireless (sync in post), lav mic the speaker and stick the H4 in their pocket or wherever. You can use it to record voice/music or whatever and the camera to get the ambient sounds and sync in post. Seems like a nice alternative to me.
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I have a Zoom H4 and have used it a great deal, like it a lot.

Its internal timeclock doesn't seem to match my video cameras - it will be out a few frames over an hour. I do lots of event work, and am very able in Vegas to make a correction, this hasn't been a problem for me. It might be for you, depending on what NLE you use and if you are geeky enough. Note that this is not "timecode drift", the clock is stable; it is "timebase error" (now that's geeky). (a search of this forum will find a method to use the open-source "audacity" audio editor to make the correction externally to your nle)

Replication of different mic models - I think I'd rather lay things down straight and do efx work in post rather than record with an effect that will then be always and forever on that clip.

If using the internal mics (which are really quite good, considering price), the unit is very sensitive to handling noise.

Battery life, 3-5 hours on a pair of Costco AA batts, I ended up putting together an external NiMH pack out of parts from radio shack, about $30 in all, now I can record 20 hours or more on a charge, and it will backup to the internal batts.

Having said all above, I love my H4, it is the coolest little recorder and I've gotten lots of use out of it. It has a few issues that may or may not be a problem for you.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
I have a Zoom H4 and have used it a great deal, like it a lot.
Thanks for replying. I'd read about people using them with excellent results elsewhere. Seriously bummed I didn't jump on one when Amazon had them for $155.

Read about the slight time change with long sessions and fixes for it as well. My stuff is usually quite short so I doubt I'd even notice. I thought one guy said he clapped at the beginning and again at the end and matched them that way. Will look it up if I ever have the problem. Then, using it to record to the camera would stop that from happening.

Quote:
Replication of different mic models - I think I'd rather lay things down straight and do efx work in post rather than record with an effect that will then be always and forever on that clip.
Never heard any of the mics it simulates, will have to experiment to see what I like/don't, but I agree with you on not having a bad original.

Quote:
If using the internal mics (which are really quite good, considering price), the unit is very sensitive to handling noise.
I figured I'd either have it in a fixed position or have a lav on people. Shouldn't be a problem -- famous last words.

Quote:
Battery life, 3-5 hours on a pair of Costco AA batts, I ended up putting together an external NiMH pack out of parts from radio shack, about $30 in all, now I can record 20 hours or more on a charge, and it will backup to the internal batts.
That was creative.

Quote:
Having said all above, I love my H4, it is the coolest little recorder and I've gotten lots of use out of it. It has a few issues that may or may not be a problem for you.
You have the latest update to it? It's on my short list. Thanks.
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7