Anyone planning to get the Wide Angles lens accessory? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #31
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brighton, England
Posts: 225
I agree they're not particularly indie-friendly lenses - I included them simply to demonstrate the answer to your question of whether 35mm lenses could get a wider image than a stock camcorder lens, not in suggestion you should run out and start using them!!

OK, so I'm looking for a Switar 0.5x adapter - any other info on what exactly should be written around the lens ring to avoid confusion??

I'm currently shooting primarily on the Z1, although I've used the system on a whole bunch of 1/3" cameras - DVX, XL Series, PD-150, even an XM-1...
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #32
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Jones
I agree they're not particularly indie-friendly lenses - I included them simply to demonstrate the answer to your question of whether 35mm lenses could get a wider image than a stock camcorder lens, not in suggestion you should run out and start using them!!
I wasn't!... ;)

Quote:
OK, so I'm looking for a Switar 0.5x adapter - any other info on what exactly should be written around the lens ring to avoid confusion??
Tom has the word on that.

Quote:
I'm currently shooting primarily on the Z1, although I've used the system on a whole bunch of 1/3" cameras - DVX, XL Series, PD-150, even an XM-1...
Good, then we should be talking based about the same equipment.

What is the WA adaptor that worked best for you?

The M2/Nikkor combo does well on the Z1?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #33
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brighton, England
Posts: 225
Lol!!!

I haven't got a W/A adapter for the Z1, as I said I rarely use it "stock". I've used the Century Optics one, which was ok but nothing special.

The M2/Nikkor combo works beautifully on the Z1, but you will need to be careful when selecting lenses - for some reason the M2 (in fact all 35mm adapters - I've used the Mini35, MovieTube and SGPro as well) seems to be more fussy about the glass than 35mm film SLRs.

For instance, I found that the following lenses, whilst fine on my FE, were too soft for my liking on the M2:
50mm f1.8 (the f1.4 version is fine)
24mm f2 (haven't found a 24mm I'm happy with - stick to the 20mm f2.8, imo)
105mm f2.5 (the f1.8 version is fantastic though)

I've also found that all of the Nikon Series E lenses (the budget versions of Nikkors) that I've tried are soft on this system, but my experience with these is limited...
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #34
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Jones
I haven't got a W/A adapter for the Z1, as I said I rarely use it "stock". I've used the Century Optics one, which was ok but nothing special.
The .6x I bought had several cons and pros, the later being more important at this moment: bayonet mount and price. But I will see how it does on the Z1.

Quote:
The M2/Nikkor combo works beautifully on the Z1, but you will need to be careful when selecting lenses - for some reason the M2 (in fact all 35mm adapters - I've used the Mini35, MovieTube and SGPro as well) seems to be more fussy about the glass than 35mm film SLRs.
Consistency is something which is more essential sometimes in video or film. That is why film primary lenses had to be mated as a set. In photo perhaps more disparities are easier to correct in the lab, as you don't see one photo after the other. Perhaps what you describe as fussiness is really lack of consistency, which is essential for continuity.

The adapter I was considering was the Brevis, but I would love to try or hear from those that tried several adapters.

Quote:
For instance, I found that the following lenses, whilst fine on my FE, were too soft for my liking on the M2:
50mm f1.8 (the f1.4 version is fine)
24mm f2 (haven't found a 24mm I'm happy with - stick to the 20mm f2.8, imo)
105mm f2.5 (the f1.8 version is fantastic though)
I had a Nikon F about 30 years ago, so I don't quite remember which lenses were the good ones. The 28mm and the 85mm were great, I think. The 50mm 1.4 was good, and there was also a 55mm. 1.2. The wide-angles are the ones to look for, at least I see as the most critical.

Quote:
I've also found that all of the Nikon Series E lenses (the budget versions of Nikkors) that I've tried are soft on this system, but my experience with these is limited...
How do you identify the Series E? I had a quick look at eBay, and found quite a lot of Nikkors. But I don't think I should buy any lens without trying it on the adapter I get.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #35
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Billericay, England UK
Posts: 4,711
I'm listening guys, just a bit busy to reply right now. So here's a couple of pictures to make you drool...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone planning to get the Wide Angles lens accessory?-hal-9000.jpg   Anyone planning to get the Wide Angles lens accessory?-rear-view-aspheron.jpg  

Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #36
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 52
wide angle

I know that this can really vary depending on artistic decisions, etc.

But is there a TYPICAL lense angle that is used in big-screen narrative movies?

I mean what would the equivalent mm of that be for use on a V1?
Rick Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #37
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brighton, England
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Consistency is something which is more essential sometimes in video or film. That is why film primary lenses had to be mated as a set. In photo perhaps more disparities are easier to correct in the lab, as you don't see one photo after the other. Perhaps what you describe as fussiness is really lack of consistency, which is essential for continuity.
Nope, definitely just plain soft - trust me, I know when an image is sharp!! Colour and contrast consistency between lenses is actually very good with Nikkors - but of course on video you can always white balance after lens changes to negate colour inaccuracy if you feel it's necessary...

You can identify Series E lenses by the fact that they are not Nikkors - they will read "Nikon Series E 50mm 1:1.8 123456" around the lens ring (for instance), rather than "Nikon NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8 123456".

I've seen some very nice images from the Brevis and the M2 is excellent, I'm sure you'll be very happy with either - happy shopping!

That looks like a lovely piece of glass Tom, I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for one of them...
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:25 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network