HVL-LBP lamp, and batteries - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM   #31
Trustee

One thing I notice on all these shots is that the LED lamp is a higher color temperature than the surroundings. This may be due to it being 3200K while the lights in the room are dimmed 2700Kelvin bringing them even further away from the LED. If the LED is daylight-balanced, some amber CTO gel would be a good idea. Gelling down in color temperature is not as lossy as going up, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you are concerned, use half or quarter CTO gel which doesn't cut down the light much at all.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
If you are concerned, use half or quarter CTO gel which doesn't cut down the light much at all.
Could someone please provide a link to the CTO gels at an online store. That would be helpful as i have done a quick search and come up with nothing obviously cheap etc.

thanks
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:16 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
The various possible configurations of the HVL-LBP lamp are described in the interesting brochure here:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...broch_6-07.pdf
Thanks for the pdf and learn more on the SONY Led light
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:10 AM   #34
Trustee

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ilter_1_2.html

There are hundreds of gels there. Look in the Lighting/Lighting Controls and Modifiers section.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:24 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
One thing I notice on all these shots is that the LED lamp is a higher color temperature than the surroundings. This may be due to it being 3200K while the lights in the room are dimmed 2700Kelvin bringing them even further away from the LED. If the LED is daylight-balanced, some amber CTO gel would be a good idea. Gelling down in color temperature is not as lossy as going up, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you are concerned, use half or quarter CTO gel which doesn't cut down the light much at all.
Thanks Markus, but considering that with the diffuser flap the lamp in question produces 4400K at 300 lux with quite good results (see my edited post above), I guess further loss of light caused by gelling it down is not worth bothering...
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:50 AM   #36
Trustee

I don't like color temperatures to be mismatched unless I'm going for an effect. I also think it is more pleasing to go a bit low than too high. Amber is more flattering to skin tones than blue. Since full CTO changes color temperature from 5600K to 3200K, that means it changes temp. by 2400K. Half of that is 1200K which would make 4400K go down to 3200K. This should mean that Half CTO should be just about right. Really, it seems that the HVL-LBP is bright enough to take the small hit from the amber gel.

Color temperature for your lights is subjective, but I think it's a good idea to have options. A few strips of 1/4 CTB and 1/4 CTO in your pack wouldn't take up too much space and can make a big difference in some situations. On the other hand, I've use mixed sources and balanced to the highest temperature and it worked out fine. Lower temperature practicals in the scene go amber, but that looks natural.

Piotr, how much gain do you use when shooting with the LED light at a dim wedding reception?
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:10 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Piotr, how much gain do you use when shooting with the LED light at a dim wedding reception?
Thanks Markus for your advise; I'll certainly consider the Half CTO amber gel.

As to the gain: of course it depends on situation (lighting and distance), but I try to never exceed 9 dB. Of the two grabs posted above, the left one certaily used 12db however; the right one was shot with 6dB or even less (can't remember now; in general the church was not as dark as that particular part of the reception room - besides, I made a horrible mistake of not adjusting my shutter speed when entering the room from the bright outside; the result: the picture on the left was taken with 1/100th shutter! I only corrected it a couple of seconds later; still decided to post the grab because my perception of darkness (due to the fast shutter) had made me engage the concentrator, whose effect I wanted to show here :)
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ilter_1_2.html

There are hundreds of gels there. Look in the Lighting/Lighting Controls and Modifiers section.
many thanks MArcus - exactly what i'm after.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM   #39
Trustee

"I made a horrible mistake of not adjusting my shutter speed when entering the room from the bright outside..."

I HATE when I do things like that. To make it worse, I then have to rub the salt in my own wounds by watching it over and over during the editing process.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7