DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Is 25p output an interlaced or progressive signal? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/98161-25p-output-interlaced-progressive-signal.html)

John Hewat July 4th, 2007 03:57 AM

Is 25p output an interlaced or progressive signal?

I'm asking because I'm considering buying a Dell 2407 monitor and it does not accept 1080i signals via DVI, but it does accept 1080p!

So if 25p footage on the V1 is in fact recognised as a progressive signal then I'm fine, otherwise it will not work.

I don't know because of the way the 25p is pulled from a 50i stream.

Does anyone know the answer?

Piotr Wozniacki July 4th, 2007 04:10 AM

John

I don't know about you Dell model, but with my Fujitsu-Siemens monitor I have 2 options:

- component 1080i/1080p compatible input
- DVI which is of course a progressive kind of input, but since you cannot connect the camera to this, I only play clips from the HDD using it - both interlaced and progressive.

So you should be fine, unless you're going to use a HDMI->DVI cable and connect the camera directly do DVI input of the monitor, in which case... I don't know!

Please keep us posted about the results.

John Bosco Jr. July 4th, 2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hewat (Post 706825)
I'm asking because I'm considering buying a Dell 2407 monitor and it does not accept 1080i signals via DVI, but it does accept 1080p!

So if 25p footage on the V1 is in fact recognised as a progressive signal then I'm fine, otherwise it will not work.

I don't know because of the way the 25p is pulled from a 50i stream.

Does anyone know the answer?

This particular Dell monitor is a computer monitor without a de-interlacer, so no, it will not accept the V1's 25p signal unless it goes through pull-down.

The V1 is not capable of outputing or recording a progressive image as the progressive signal from the chips are converted to interlace before any output or recording takes place, so the 25p image is packaged in a 50i stream in your case as you have indicated. Thus, you would need a monitor with a de-interlacer. Incidently, an older model, the Dell 2405, had a de-interlacer, however; the 2407 does not.

Also, as a side note, an HDMI signal easily converts to DVI. The only difference between the two is size of the connectors and embedded audio with HDMI; DVI cannot pass audio. HDMI is specifically geared for Television, so TVs with this connector are furnished with a de-interlacer. If a TV or monitor did not have a de-interlacer, then HDMI like DVI would not be able to handle interlace.

Seth Bloombaum July 4th, 2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. (Post 707086)
...Also, as a side note, an HDMI signal easily converts to DVI. The only difference between the two is size of the connectors and embedded audio with HDMI; DVI cannot pass audio...

Note also that HDCP (a copy protection scheme implemented in most or all HDMI) does not always allow conversion to DVI at full resolution. In some cases where there is not an HDCP handshake the signal will be degraded to Standard Definition.