Is 25p output an interlaced or progressive signal? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Is 25p output an interlaced or progressive signal?

I'm asking because I'm considering buying a Dell 2407 monitor and it does not accept 1080i signals via DVI, but it does accept 1080p!

So if 25p footage on the V1 is in fact recognised as a progressive signal then I'm fine, otherwise it will not work.

I don't know because of the way the 25p is pulled from a 50i stream.

Does anyone know the answer?
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

John

I don't know about you Dell model, but with my Fujitsu-Siemens monitor I have 2 options:

- component 1080i/1080p compatible input
- DVI which is of course a progressive kind of input, but since you cannot connect the camera to this, I only play clips from the HDD using it - both interlaced and progressive.

So you should be fine, unless you're going to use a HDMI->DVI cable and connect the camera directly do DVI input of the monitor, in which case... I don't know!

Please keep us posted about the results.
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
I'm asking because I'm considering buying a Dell 2407 monitor and it does not accept 1080i signals via DVI, but it does accept 1080p!

So if 25p footage on the V1 is in fact recognised as a progressive signal then I'm fine, otherwise it will not work.

I don't know because of the way the 25p is pulled from a 50i stream.

Does anyone know the answer?
This particular Dell monitor is a computer monitor without a de-interlacer, so no, it will not accept the V1's 25p signal unless it goes through pull-down.

The V1 is not capable of outputing or recording a progressive image as the progressive signal from the chips are converted to interlace before any output or recording takes place, so the 25p image is packaged in a 50i stream in your case as you have indicated. Thus, you would need a monitor with a de-interlacer. Incidently, an older model, the Dell 2405, had a de-interlacer, however; the 2407 does not.

Also, as a side note, an HDMI signal easily converts to DVI. The only difference between the two is size of the connectors and embedded audio with HDMI; DVI cannot pass audio. HDMI is specifically geared for Television, so TVs with this connector are furnished with a de-interlacer. If a TV or monitor did not have a de-interlacer, then HDMI like DVI would not be able to handle interlace.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. View Post
...Also, as a side note, an HDMI signal easily converts to DVI. The only difference between the two is size of the connectors and embedded audio with HDMI; DVI cannot pass audio...
Note also that HDCP (a copy protection scheme implemented in most or all HDMI) does not always allow conversion to DVI at full resolution. In some cases where there is not an HDCP handshake the signal will be degraded to Standard Definition.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7