what methods of adding an external filter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 13th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #1
Major Player

what methods of adding an external filter?

Hi. I will be shooting a project in poland with a sony z-1. an experienced cinematographer recommended i use a "soft warm" filter made by Cokin. Will i need a matte box for this filter? or can it be stuck onto the lens somehow?

If i DO need a matte box, i was curious to know if there is a matte box that fits the z-1 as well as the sony pd-150.

thanks
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Adi,

You dont necessarily need a matte box, as Cokin make an adaptor that screws onto the 72mm thread, and you can just insert your filters in to it. This costs about $50 here in Australia - a lot cheaper than a matte box. However, this can allow light to get on the inside of the filter and cause flare under some circumstances - so a matte box will probably do a better job. I guess it depends on the situation how well this works for you. In many circumstances it will work just fine.

I have one of the cheap knock off Indian matte boxes for my Z1 (it is an exact copy of the Vocas/Century Optics) and it works well - but my Cokin filters dont fit so well - I ended up getting some standard Cavision filters from B&H.

Hope this helps,
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks graeme for your reply. do you know if these filters you can screw onto the z-1 lens are also compatible with the pd-150?
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Adi,

The Cokin P series will fit both Z1 and PD170. You will just have to buy a different size adaptor ring for the filter holder.
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Cheap matte box from India

Graeme, I'm considering that matte box. Do you think that it will work with the Sony wide angel attachment...fit/ vignette? Do you think the matte box is on par with Cavision's? I'd like to save a few $.
Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Craig,

The knock off matte box is fine for the price. I don't think that it is as good as the Cavision - but you get what you pay for. Like all of the Indian products it is made to a price, and whilst it copies the Vocas/Century Optics design exactly, it is certainly not built to the same quality by a long shot. That said it still works well for what I do.

I use it with the Century Optics 0.6X with which it vignettes slightly at the widest angle - so I am guessing that it should be fine with the Sony 0.8X, but this only a guess, not guaranteed. It is likely to fit as the rubber rings allow most lens sizes up to 100mm to fit.

You may need to make some minor modifications to have it fit better (I did), but this was only a matter of drilling extra holes for better alignment of the camera in the matte box.

All the best,
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi Head View Post
Hi. I will be shooting a project in poland with a sony z-1. an experienced cinematographer recommended i use a "soft warm" filter made by Cokin. Will i need a matte box for this filter? or can it be stuck onto the lens somehow?

If i DO need a matte box, i was curious to know if there is a matte box that fits the z-1 as well as the sony pd-150.

thanks
Adi,

You don't necessarily need to go with a matte box. While it is recommended to get one, you can go with out assuming you are not using any fine quality attachments such as Century Optics (shameless plug). :)

Most manufacturers do not bother to make these specialty types of filters in screw-in versions. We happen to manufacture a fairly popular off the beaten path option which is a Series 9 filter that you can put various step rings on including 72mm for your camera.

Reasons to go Series 9 with a step ring:

1. Insures that your filters will fit onto almost any camera you can buy.
2. Series 9 is an odd size so inventory clearance sales are often found on them
3. Combination and other filters not sold in standard thread mounts are available due to Cine uses of this filter
4. Series 9 is a drop in filter that uses a retaining ring. Once you have bought a retaining ring, you don't need to buy more. Just buy the glass.

We manufacture a combination of our Classic Soft and our 81-Two filter. The Classic Soft is the industry standard in Hollywood and the most requested at rental houses. It works by using a large number of micro "lenslets" that focus certain parts of the image off of the imaging plane. This causes a soft focus effect without the loss of resolution found on other soft focus filters (actual eye detials). Do not use anything stronger than 1/2 power on an HDV camera because the camera might image the lenslets. Lesser powers work great and are beyond HD quality (300 line pairs per millimeter).

Below is a link to the product that you need. Be sure to check the strength is appropriate.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...D=535&IID=2717

You also need an adapter ring not listed but available. Any higher end shop such as the sponsors on this site will know what to get you.

Otherwise, buy a matte box.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1