Some questions about a new shoot I am gonna do. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Some questions about a new shoot I am gonna do.

i usually shoot with the settings at the top of the forum for film which includes using cineframe 30. I am going to be doing a rap music video this weekend and was wondering if I should still use cineframe if I plan on doing a good bit of slow motion in post. In the past I dropped cineframe footage in a 60i timeline but I realize this was not the smartest thing since cineframe kinda de-interlaces it (right?). So my guess is that it would be easier to get good slow mo with interlaced footage and the shutter speed set to 1/120. I also plan to do most of the slow motion in final cut pro 6 instead of after effects 7 since my after effects doesn't seem to like hdv material. I have the Fields kit deinterlacer also to help if I do shoot without cineframe on.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Correct, you should drop CineFrame as it throws away one field and doubles the other one; interlaced will give you a lot more spacial resolution.
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Major Player

alright so drop the cineframe but what about shutter speed?
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

for slow motion you'll be best to turn up the shutter speed as high as you can. i shot a rap video on my fx1 at 215 and working with hdv + after effects' frame blending got some really good results

heres the video, although the slow mo shots got cut in the end the high shutter speed was a must for all of the motion tracking

http://www.tullyvision.net/blog/videos/faker-breaker/

best of luck with the shoot

Stick
Stick Tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #5
Trustee

Hey Stick,
Really liked your videos. Was that a green screen in Faker Breaker or white background? could you tell a bit more about this?

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks very much Simon

That video was shot with no budget in a school hall using a white sheet as the background. Unfortunately the lights had a blue tint which made the sheet blue and i actually ended up having a bit of a nightmare keying it all out. You can see some blue on the side of his face & neck in a few of the shots. For a proper white infinity you need A LOT of light. If you use zebra stripes i think its best to completely blow out/overexpose the background and ensure your subject is lit separately at the correct exposure.

You can also see the video in 720p here (as long as you have the Divx web player installed)

http://www.stage6.com/user/tullyvisi...r-Breaker-720p

Hope that helps, any more questions feel free to get in touch - this board has been good to me, be nice to give something back :)

+ I'll have some more recent work up soon on a new website :)
Stick Tully is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1