DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1 tape compatabiltiy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/138025-z1-tape-compatabiltiy.html)

Frank Vrionis November 18th, 2008 08:05 PM

Z1 tape compatabiltiy

Hi,

I'm using a Z1 and would like to add an HC9 to the mix.

Does the Z1 play the HC9 tapes? I ask this in case i wanna mix tapes or if someone else wants to capture the tapes with their Z1.

Cheers boys

John Wiley November 18th, 2008 11:50 PM

Yes, they will both play tapes recorded on the other camera. Just make sure you use the same brand of tapes in both cameras so you don't get clogged heads when you use either camera to playback a tape recorded with the other camera.

ps - you might want to use the HC9 to playback capture all your footage as it's much cheaper to replace that one if you wear out the tape transport or get a dead firewire chip.

Pol Van der Plaetsen November 19th, 2008 02:40 AM

I use both Z1 and HC9. No problem to mix tapes. I always use SONY PREMIUM TAPES.

My HC9 is mainly used as capture deck..

Pol

Duncan Craig November 19th, 2008 06:29 AM

I use a Canon HV20 as a capture camera, also it's picture in proper lighting conditions is mostly better than the Z1 so it's sometimes used as a wide camera too.

I've always used Sony Premium stock, the cheap orange/yellow wrapped stuff.

Frank Vrionis November 19th, 2008 06:50 AM

Thanks all.

Duncan, does the reverse apply? i.e do the Canon recordings work on the Z1.

Boyd Ostroff November 19th, 2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Craig (Post 965814)
I've always used Sony Premium stock, the cheap orange/yellow wrapped stuff.

Heh, the Sony Premium tapes have blue wrappers here in the US. But that's what I always use in my Z1 as well. When I was working in Argentina a couple years ago the same tapes had red wrappers IIRC.

Stefano Sernagiotto November 20th, 2008 04:57 AM

Yep, the HC and z1 camera recorded stuff are pretty"comfortable"to each other...lol
Just an info, how much does it cost an hc camera over there?
Talking about tapes:Here in Europe the Sony dv premium are banned.....2 many drops and too many problems in the head of the cameras!What about over there?

Ron Evans November 20th, 2008 06:44 AM

I have used the Sony Premium( 60 and 80 minute) since I got my FX1 5 years ago and have never seen a drop out for either DV or HDV. The camera has NEVER used any other type of tape though.

Ron Evans

Boyd Ostroff November 20th, 2008 10:19 AM

Same here. I have used the Sony Premium tapes in my VX-2000, PDX-10 and HVR-Z1 ever since 2001 and they have been trouble-free. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

Martyn Hull November 20th, 2008 11:30 AM

Of the dozens of sony premium tapes i have used i have never used one without at least 1 drop out on my cams,average 3 to 4,cleaning tapes are prudently used,just unlucky perhaps.

Ron Evans November 20th, 2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyn Hull (Post 966360)
Of the dozens of sony premium tapes i have used i have never used one without at least 1 drop out on my cams,average 3 to 4,cleaning tapes are prudently used,just unlucky perhaps.

Have the cameras had any other brand of tape in them? If so that is the reason. Just once is enough to mess up the system and need a full professional cleaning. Cleaning tapes will not fully solve the problem.

Ron Evans

Stefano Sernagiotto November 20th, 2008 01:20 PM

I always thought about this:How come in Europe the "premium" are so bad?Maybe depend from the PAL recording sistem?Have u ever though a similar thing?I noticed that US customers don't seem 2 have this kind of issues.....
Bye
Stefano

Ron Evans November 20th, 2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefano Sernagiotto (Post 966418)
I always thought about this:How come in Europe the "premium" are so bad?Maybe depend from the PAL recording sistem?Have u ever though a similar thing?I noticed that US customers don't seem 2 have this kind of issues.....
Bye
Stefano

The tape doesn't know the difference between NTSC and PAL it just records data. I still believe the issue is tape brand mixing. As I mentioned, just once is enough especially in a camera that does not have heavy use like a studio deck might have.

Ron Evans

Martyn Hull November 21st, 2008 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 966397)
Have the cameras had any other brand of tape in them? If so that is the reason. Just once is enough to mess up the system and need a full professional cleaning. Cleaning tapes will not fully solve the problem.

Ron Evans

No i neither has ever used another brand of tape only sony premiums,the HC-1 is having a repair to its lcd at present its 3 years old now almost and if anything is slightly better now than when new regarding drop outs.

Dugi Barr November 24th, 2008 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Vrionis (Post 965818)
Thanks all.

Duncan, does the reverse apply? i.e do the Canon recordings work on the Z1.

Canon HV-20 recordings work fine on the Z1.