Z1 tape compatabiltiy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 18th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z1 tape compatabiltiy

Hi,

I'm using a Z1 and would like to add an HC9 to the mix.

Does the Z1 play the HC9 tapes? I ask this in case i wanna mix tapes or if someone else wants to capture the tapes with their Z1.

Cheers boys
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes, they will both play tapes recorded on the other camera. Just make sure you use the same brand of tapes in both cameras so you don't get clogged heads when you use either camera to playback a tape recorded with the other camera.

ps - you might want to use the HC9 to playback capture all your footage as it's much cheaper to replace that one if you wear out the tape transport or get a dead firewire chip.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #3
Tourist

I use both Z1 and HC9. No problem to mix tapes. I always use SONY PREMIUM TAPES.

My HC9 is mainly used as capture deck..

Pol
Pol Van der Plaetsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #4
Major Player

I use a Canon HV20 as a capture camera, also it's picture in proper lighting conditions is mostly better than the Z1 so it's sometimes used as a wide camera too.

I've always used Sony Premium stock, the cheap orange/yellow wrapped stuff.
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks all.

Duncan, does the reverse apply? i.e do the Canon recordings work on the Z1.
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
I've always used Sony Premium stock, the cheap orange/yellow wrapped stuff.
Heh, the Sony Premium tapes have blue wrappers here in the US. But that's what I always use in my Z1 as well. When I was working in Argentina a couple years ago the same tapes had red wrappers IIRC.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yep, the HC and z1 camera recorded stuff are pretty"comfortable"to each other...lol
Just an info, how much does it cost an hc camera over there?
Talking about tapes:Here in Europe the Sony dv premium are banned.....2 many drops and too many problems in the head of the cameras!What about over there?
Stefano Sernagiotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I have used the Sony Premium( 60 and 80 minute) since I got my FX1 5 years ago and have never seen a drop out for either DV or HDV. The camera has NEVER used any other type of tape though.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Wrangler

Same here. I have used the Sony Premium tapes in my VX-2000, PDX-10 and HVR-Z1 ever since 2001 and they have been trouble-free. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Of the dozens of sony premium tapes i have used i have never used one without at least 1 drop out on my cams,average 3 to 4,cleaning tapes are prudently used,just unlucky perhaps.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
Of the dozens of sony premium tapes i have used i have never used one without at least 1 drop out on my cams,average 3 to 4,cleaning tapes are prudently used,just unlucky perhaps.
Have the cameras had any other brand of tape in them? If so that is the reason. Just once is enough to mess up the system and need a full professional cleaning. Cleaning tapes will not fully solve the problem.

Ron Evans
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I always thought about this:How come in Europe the "premium" are so bad?Maybe depend from the PAL recording sistem?Have u ever though a similar thing?I noticed that US customers don't seem 2 have this kind of issues.....
Bye
Stefano
Stefano Sernagiotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano Sernagiotto View Post
I always thought about this:How come in Europe the "premium" are so bad?Maybe depend from the PAL recording sistem?Have u ever though a similar thing?I noticed that US customers don't seem 2 have this kind of issues.....
Bye
Stefano
The tape doesn't know the difference between NTSC and PAL it just records data. I still believe the issue is tape brand mixing. As I mentioned, just once is enough especially in a camera that does not have heavy use like a studio deck might have.

Ron Evans
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Have the cameras had any other brand of tape in them? If so that is the reason. Just once is enough to mess up the system and need a full professional cleaning. Cleaning tapes will not fully solve the problem.

Ron Evans
No i neither has ever used another brand of tape only sony premiums,the HC-1 is having a repair to its lcd at present its 3 years old now almost and if anything is slightly better now than when new regarding drop outs.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vrionis View Post
Thanks all.

Duncan, does the reverse apply? i.e do the Canon recordings work on the Z1.
Canon HV-20 recordings work fine on the Z1.
Dugi Barr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1