DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   clarification on SMPTE and FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/35287-clarification-smpte-fx1.html)

Garius Hill November 21st, 2004 07:17 PM

clarification on SMPTE and FX1

Hi,

I am trying to understand if there is timecode at all on the FX1. Perhaps it can't output SMPTE but it still writes it tovideo, so you can batch capture?

If there is no Timecode, I find this strange. I have a $800 Sony consumer camcorder that has SMPTE.

Please clarify this issue.

Thanks,
Garius Hill

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2004 07:25 PM

What makes you think there isn't time code on the FX1?

Check out how the FX1's time code compares to the Z1U at http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sony...compare.php#tc.

Garius Hill November 21st, 2004 07:33 PM

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Apparently, I missunderstood, someone told me that the FX1 did not have SMPTE. Your chart is helpful in clarifying this issue.

Garius

Jeff Donald November 21st, 2004 08:20 PM

Someone may have been making an esoteric reference to SMPTE TC versus DV Timecode and whatever TC the FX1 uses.

George Caramanna November 21st, 2004 09:25 PM

The timecode issue is really the biggest thing vs the Z1 I believe. Multi camera shoots will be more difficult. I have the FX-1 and sure miss the free run TC.

Well I dont think the differences between the two are even near worth the price variance. Clapboards are pretty cheap anyhow.

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2004 11:40 PM

I agree that the differences in time code operation are a major selling point for the Z1U over the FX1. However in my opinion the $1200 increase for the Z1U is not that big of a deal. The camera should pay for itself within a few months anyway. And considering that the Z1U is right at the price point of the Canon XL2, I think it offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Garius Hill November 22nd, 2004 03:09 AM

It's great to hear your opinion on this Chris. I agree whole heartedly. Even though the XL2 is one hell of va camera. For me, the choice to be able to shoot HD in addition to SD and also switching between PAL and NTSC, One thing I love about the XL2 is the interchangable lens option. But all in all, I will either go for the Z1U or if I get really anxious buy the FX1 and then later the Z1U as a 2nd camera.

Mike Tiffee November 22nd, 2004 07:15 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : What makes you think there isn't time code on the FX1?

Check out how the FX1's time code compares to the Z1U at http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sony...compare.php#tc. -->>>

Chris, one thing missing from your chart:
The FX-1 offers 16x9 letterbox and anamorphic output.

The Z-1 adds 4:3 center-cut output.

Chris Hurd November 22nd, 2004 07:55 AM

Thanks, Mike! I'll try to integrate that in there somehow today.

Carlos E. Martinez November 22nd, 2004 09:52 AM

What I wonder and really matters for me is:

1) Will I have an output through LAN of the FX1 timecode?

2) Can we go in with any TC signal into the camera?

What's the primary use of recording time-code when shooting? Syncying with audio or other cameras.

If we can't go in with a signal we can't sync with other cameras.

So we are only left with audio applications, which it's what really matters to me.

How can I better use what the Z1 provides as TC options?

Carlos

Chris Hurd November 22nd, 2004 01:47 PM

Hi Carlos,

I wrote about this for the Canon XL2. The same thing applies for the Sony HVR-Z1U.

There is no way to input timecode to this camera from an external source. However, you do have an option available to you which will allow for frame-accurate time code synchronization of several cameras in a multi-cam shoot.

Assemble all of your Z1U's together in one location. Make sure each one has a fresh time/date backup battery. Set each camera for "Free Run" time code using the wireless remote controller. Make sure each Z1U is set to receive the wireless controller's input on the proper IR channels (these cameras usually have two or three separate command channels -- they all need to be set to the same channel).

Using the remote control so that all cameras receive the IR signal clearly, set the Free Run time code. You can set it exactly to the frame you want (i.e., 00 hrs, 00 min 00 frames). When you set Free Run time code, all cameras will start with the exact same internal clock right down to the frame.

The great thing about this is that the Free Run clock counts independantly from the tape transport or from camera power for that matter. Once all cameras are set to the same Free Run time code setting, it doesn't matter if your cameras are stopped, started, paused, recording, powered down or whatever. Pause one of them, record with another, power the third one down and start it up again later. All three cameras have the exact same time code written to tape, because you've set all three cameras to the exact same frame using the Free Run clock. This clock doesn't care if the tape transport is rolling or not and it doesn't care if the camera is powered down. It keeps on counting no matter what. And with the wireless IR controller, you've set all cameras to the same Free Run time, so they're all identical down to the same frame. As long as the time/date batts are fresh in each camera, this procedure is every bit as good as having an external sync. Hope this helps,