DV EXPO WEST Report - Day 2: HDV editing has arrived at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 10th, 2004, 12:05 AM   #1
Major Player

DV EXPO WEST Report - Day 2: HDV editing has arrived

OK, I got some sleep, and hit the floor again today. I'd like to share with you some of the things I saw.

Canopus Edius SP and NX

This is the elite solutiion in my opinion. For between $1,300 and $4,000 - and a kick ass computer - you can edit HDV in multiple layers in Real time. The demo computer was a dual 3.2 Xeon, 2 GB of RAM, and 400gigs of Sata RAID (2X200).

What we witnessed was multiple layers of video with multiple FX with graphics run in RT. In truth, the demo was more than many editors will ever need. I asked what the expectations would be with one layer of HD and some graphics and titles, and was told 4-6 graphic layers and 1 layer of HD footage in real time. This can only get better as the processor speeds improve. More power in the processors = more real time on this system.

You can edit in native HDV's MPEG2 TS format with 100% frame accuracy, or capture to a new codec canopus developed called HQ. They did split screens and there was no difference in this viewers opinion.

You can hit the timeline with just about any combination of SD and HD that you can think of in any codec and it handles it in Reel Time - up conversion if you choose and Down Conversion if you choose. Did I mention this was in Real Time?

Disk performance was impressive considering it was only a 2 channel RAID. I was told the performance would not really be improved with a larger RAID.

The system is designed to grow. You can start with a software solution and add hardware options as you go along (and your budget improves). The other thing that impressed me was they believe they have designed a board that will last more than just a year or two. It is a solid platform for the future. To compensate dv storm users, they are providing a trade in program. They'll give you $400 or $500 back(Memory is slipping - apologies to all)

There is also a $500.00 rebate for purchasers of both the Edius SP and FX1 this month.

The NX offers everything the other SP system offers except you cannot capture analog SD (component) If your a DV and HDV shooter, this may not be an issue for you. The SP is shipping now. The NX ships on the 10th(Next week). Make sure you check the computer spec page. It's important to build a box that is set for it, or buy one from Canopus preconfigured.

AVID Express Pro 5.0

This is HD capable now, ships in a few weeks (December 30). It does not handle HDV via firewire. That has been promised in a later release - read NAB 2005. They will be offering native MPEG2 TS editing. Avid still has that arrogance. The demo artist said only Avid offers this. I recommended he visit a few other booths on the floor. Same pricing as the current offering.

Vegas is about to release a new version. Can't say more at this time. It's not shipping.

Ulead's solution is shipping and does handle things natively.

Pinnacle Liquid Edition.

This looks like ti could be a good system, but I have not found the time yet to demo it. Perhaps tomorrow.

Adobe:

I didn't do their Premiere demo, but they are supporting the format. I think we've seen some discussion on this in conjunction with Cineform. Also, Canopus announced you will be able to use Premiere Pro with their hardware, but not with all the RT. Canopus will write drivers that will allow the use of their codec for capture, etc.

Missing from the floor was Cineform and Lumiere. I know both companies are close to releasing product.
My conversations with Apple suggests they are close, but as usual will not commmit to any dates. I would guess we could look to Mac Expo in January, and failing that, NAB 2005 in April.

With both Canopus and Pinnacle providing direct editing solutions, in other words, no proxy files, or conversions, it was clear to me this is the destination for the future. Canopus allows you to decide which way you want to go. You can edit in HDV, or you can use their other codec. In any case, you cansee it on an HD monitor or TV in RT.

Century Optics:

I saw both a 1.6X and a wide angle on the FX1. The usual Century quality - great. I did not get prices. I'll look into that.

Formatt Filters & Matte Boxes

Format has a cool light weight matte box 4X4 filter holder that will fit the FX1 nicely. There is also a new line of filters which they recommend for HDV shooters. Check it out on their web page. For XL2 shooters, they have a package that includes a Bogen Tripod & head, a matte box and some filters for $650 on the floor. No real reason us HDV guys couldn't use the same toys.

Kata Bags have a custom designed bag for the FX1. It's cool, check it out.

The Glide cam booth are showing their products working with the FX1. THey also have a cheap - read $400 underwater housing that would fit the FX1. No controls, but it is water tight to 300 feet. Use it with the camera zoomed out, you will get impressive results.

SATA Solutions:

These are hot on the floor. They are running full HD- uncompressed without much trouble (I didn't witness any dropped frames). I touched one of the boxes, - a design that looks like a small G5. Didn't burn my hand, not that warm. I am going to test SATA RAID on the Canopus in my own environment. More on that next week.

I bought an upgrade to Peak DV that comes with FCP, and thier sound soap package. This is great software for making even a guy like me sound good. Good deal too. $1200 worth of software for $550.00 I think the same deal is on their web site.

That's it for day 2.

I'll try and report again tomorrow.

Cheers

DBK

p.s. someone from here mentioned my post last night on the COW HDV forum. For those of you who might not know, I am one of a select few who have a lifetime ban from that forum. You are free to tell them what I've posted here, but don't expect me to address any questions on that forum. I can't.
Old December 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

> Vegas is about to release a new version.

It's an update to 5.0, not a new version. No new features, just templates, tweaks to the HDV features, and MPEG-2 HDV-compliant rendering, and some bug fixes.

///d@
Sony Media Software
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Darren, thanks so much for the update. Couldn't get down to DV Expo myself due to a conflict.
Cameron O'Rourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #4
Membership Suspended

update better if pics comes along with posting, you agree? i reading post but never attended dv expo, so how do people look like, what they were, what is being talked about, stuff like that.
Davi Dortas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Hi Darren,

You mention that CineForm wasn't at DV Expo, true we can't afford to have our own booth, but we where there in the Adobe, Sony, Maxtox and ProMAX booths. Sony was using CineForm's Connect HD on their Vegas HDV systems. Adobe was showed Prospect HD Wednesday, and talked about the upcoming HDV support (CineForm based) on Thursday. Maxtrox was using Aspect HD 2.5 to demo their upcoming Parhelia card that has component HD outputs (only $350 -- an inexpensive solution of HD out of Aspect HD.) ProMAX was showing Prospect HD, pity you missed that as they where showing footage from "Dust to Glory", the feature film that CineForm Intermediate technology played a key roll. ProMAX is now a licensed CineForm integrator (our VP of Sales was working at the ProMAX booth.) It was a good show for CineForm.
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #6
Major Player

I extend my apologies for mis reporting David. It was not intended. I looked for you at the JVC booth, and I did look at the Adobe booth, but missed it.

I'm glad to see a pioneer in the HDV game is still doing great.

Cheers

DBK

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1