Check this out..matte box for cheap at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1
Trustee

Check this out..matte box for cheap

Hey, I haven't seen this posted before. I'm looking for a matte box with a follow focus for cheap. If anyone has any definitive information about what's out there I'd love to see it. Here is what I've found:

http://cinetactics.com/mb145a.php
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Chris,

For the same reason I bought the Z1 over the FX1 (to get the best I could get for a reasonable amount of upgrade money)....I would apply to a matte box...

The whole cloth + velcro + fold up and stick in your pocket type matte box.....uhhh, it just doesn't fit right with me.

Answer me this.....Would you buy a 2005 Mercedes Benz S500...........with cloth interior and manual windows????

Same way I feel when I see that Mattethingy?? Alongside functionality...."Perception" means allot too. (smile) If I get a mattebox, it will be with Leather Interior and Electric Windows.
*smile*

- Shannon W. Rawls
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Call me crazy, but I kinda like it.

Would fit well for the kind of work we do, very fast setups and location changes at the drop of a hat.

Of course, I also got the FX1. I'm not a big leather guy. :)
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Shannon, I hear you. But, my funds are depleted since I bought the Z1. I'm going to have to rent the mattebox...which isn't really a big deal.
Old February 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan McCullough : Would fit well for the kind of work we do, very fast setups and location changes at the drop of a hat. -->>>

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : my funds are depleted since I bought the Z1. -->>>

Understood by both. (slapping my hand) BAD SHANNON!

*smile*

- Shannon W. Rawls
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #6
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : Shannon, I hear you. But, my funds are depleted since I bought the Z1. I'm going to have to rent the mattebox...which isn't really a big deal. -->>>

Go for it. Shannon sounds like a classy snob... but a real snob would always pick non-electrical windows and real wood panels.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm still using my favorite cereal box...

Personally, a nice big box of Sugar Crisp is the way to go! I mix it up once in awhile and switch it up with Frosted Flakes.

Bwhaha, I've no dough left since committing to HDV... spent my last few $$$ buying black spray paint so everyone from afar thinks my FX1 is a Z1...

Okay, just kidding. But my guerilla filmmaker spirit applauds Murphy's resourcefulness - spending oodles on "flaps" - yes it looks nice, but really, on most jobs I do, the client doesn't care if I'm driving them in a Mercedes or on the back of a moped - as long as I get them to the destination...

Yes, I know in this business, perception is key... but right now priority dictates - saving $$$ for better editing system... editing frame-by-frame sucks.
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Remember, the lens-mountable Cinetactics MattebLox is even more expensive then the plastic/metal lens-mountable Formatte 500 Mattebox.

So, the 'on a budget' spirit of spending oodles of $$ on flaps don't apply here, cause if you go the cloth/velcro route...you'll be speinding more cash.

Because the FX1/Z1U is anamorphic, you have to buy this model:
http://cinetactics.com/k-mba.php

Which happens to be $87 bucks more then this puppy:
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/format44.html

For $293 bucks incl. filter holders and huge french flag....wow...that's perfect (especially for indie budgets)

Better photos: http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/FormattMB/

However, good find Chris, because the MattebLox is waaaayy more portable thent he Formatt. Problem is, I just forsee 'vingnetting' happening with the the MattebLox because the filters would be velcro mounted so far away from the lens on our cameras.
Doing a wide shot would almost guarantee that the FX1/Z1U would get the lens focused in the shot.

seem to be.

- Shannon W. Rawls
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #9
Major Player

Shannon,

I get nervous about putting a lens-mountable mattebox on, particularly when you start adding weight of flags. It probably doesn't make sense but being super careful with the lens area is just something that's been beat into my head since high school.

I'm much more comfortable thinking of a bar support system with a mattebox.

Of course if people get the Formatt one and it looks good and doesn't put stress on the lens area then I might consider it. I just really like the idea of bars supporting the mattebox.

Which is partly why the cloth one looked good to me, didn't seem to be much weight there.
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #10
Wrangler

FWIW, I've had the Mattblox for my XL-1 for a little over a year. Got it during a holiday special for $210/inc shipping. I can attest to the fact that it is nice and light. It's really nice when you've got a heavy converter stacked on the front of an already front heavy cam. I can heartily recommend it based on quality of construction and quick configuration changes.

I realize it's a bit more expensive for the Sony cams but note there are two different offerings. One ana kit is actually cheaper than the 2 filter.com kit. The other more expensive ana kit has several filter holders and other goodies included.

Just my .02 worth.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #11
Major Player

More Photos: http://www.mvsvideo.co.uk/equipment_formatt.htm

Chris, do you have a sponsor that sells this? i need to get one.

- Shannon W. Rawls
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey Guys,
I have the mattebox in question, I was unsure at first but it's a great piece. It is very very well made and it sets up in snap. I love how adjustable it is. The over-sized french flag was a life saver on my latest shoot. Because of it's design it can be moved it just about any kind of way you could ever want. I would say it's a good purchase and looks great on the cam as well.

My 2 c,
Thanks,
Eric James
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Eric,

Which one do you have? The Matteblox or the Formatt one?

Either way, I'd love to see some pics of your setup.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Matteblox :)
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #15
Major Player

Cool.

I'd really love to see some pics of this on your cam. I'm still really interested in this but haven't heard/seen any reviews from actual FX1/Z1 owners.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1