So how do you get your 4x4 filters in your Mattebox? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:28 PM   #1
Major Player

So how do you get your 4x4 filters in your Mattebox?

We all know our FX1/Z1 options for a Mattebox....

1. MatteBlox
2. Cavision
3. Formatt FM-500
4. Chrosziel
5. JBK

So...how are you guys doing with them?? Specifically, two questions......

1. How are you getting your 4x4 filters in them? (both slots, solid & rotating)

and

2. Which one vingettes when all the way wide? (where you can see the edges of the mattebox in the frame when full wide)

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the Chrosziel.
The solid Filter gets out very close but in front of the built in mic. But it don't scratches there. Thats the point :)

To insert the rotating filter I have to pull it al little away from the lens, to insert the filter, then turn it 90 degree and push back onto the lens. Very easy. It then Rotates nearly Full 360°.

I dont see the edges of the mattebox even full wide. My dealer also told me, that it also handles a wideangle as well. But it have no need for that.

Greetings

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've just tried the rotating again and if the rods are all the way in, you can also insert/remove it without getting the mattebox off.

Overall thats really a great piece of hardware.

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Hollywood Studio Rentals

the Cone

We use Cinetech and Petroff 4X5.65's and always rod support them. Naturally, Sony hasn't got a clue when it comes to matteboxes. Putting that mic that far out was just dumb. I never use it, I'd cut it off with a hach saw if it didn't void my warranty. But I came up with a simple and elegant solution. It's called "The Cone". 72mm thread on one side, 100 or 105mm on the other side, about 3/4in deep. Mine's aluminum but you can have a local NC shop make it out of plastic to titanium. Keeps the mattebox out enough to rotate stage and not scratch the front of the mic.
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #5
Major Player

what about vignetting??? can you pull all the way wide and still have an unobstructed frame?

- Shannon W. Rawls
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Robert
I agree with you regarding the over extended position of the microphone. In fact I brought this very issue to the attention of a Sony Product manager at a local SVSE trade show and he agreed. My question is does your solution allow the use of graduated neutral density filiters ?
Regards
D Kane
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Cavision

I use a Cavision that I oprinally bought for my Ikegami HL-57 and it works great. I got a follow focus controller from them that works like a top. There is no vignetting if the bellows are pulled back 2/3 of the way. The built-in mic interferes with the trays, but I just slide out the matt box to filetr and slide it back in.

I have contemplated "modifying" the mic, but since it dangerously close to the LCD I can't bring myself to do it. I would get no pity from Sony if I send in a camera that had Dremel saw taken to it.

The real answer is to mount the matt box in a 90 degree rotation and so the filter would slide out of the side. The Cavision had a machined boss that mounts to the rail clamp, so it is off to the machine shop....

George Griswold
www.videonow.info
EPKs and "Behind the scenes" for motion pictures

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1