Bag vs. Case - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The 1610 would do for one cam, no doubt.
I haven't taken pix of the Pelican setup, I do have pix of my Petrol softbag setup at http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...1-0b0afaaeecf0 , but that won't likely help much. When we return from this shoot, I'll try to remember to take a few pix and post em'.
Thanks Douglas. I'm very excited about having my new baby. Ok, maybe that's carrying love of technology a little far.
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #77
Tourist

New HDR-FX1 carrying case by Pelican

Hello all,

I ‘m new to the post. I was getting ready to order a Pelican case at their site http://www.casesbypelican.com. It looks like they just came out with a very nice carrying case for the HDR-FX1. It’s based on their wheeled 1560, still it is too large for an airline carry-on, but it’s quite smaller than the 1610.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/videocamcorders-sony.htm
Harry Pendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #78
Regular Crew

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post and mention that I picked up a Tenba S-7 shoulder case recently and it works fantastic for my Z1. It's a soft bag that offers excellent protection with plenty of space. I pulled the inside dividers out and put them back in lining the sides for added protection. You can find it here at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

John

PS - It has much better interior padding and protection than the B&H description says.
John Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #79
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Bag options

Hello everbody!! Just wanted to jump in on this and let you all know about a new bag company coming into the States. I am sure that many of you saw the camRade line at this years NAB? Well we here at TapeWorks Texas inc. liked what we saw with those folks and decided to become one of their main distributors here in the States.

Constructed of the industry standard 1,000 stitch Cordura (same as
Portabrace) these bags feature a more sleek and professional grey color, soft padded interiors and a PVC lining for added protection (kind of sound like a salesman, eh?)

Check out the link here and see a great bag for smaller DV and HDV cameras. These cameras will be hitting the States real soon and at a lower price than advertised for the DVInfo crowd. They also have a really cool backpacks, wetsuits, desert suits and more for all size cameras.

http://tapeworkstexas.com/camrade_cb_single_i_1.html

Thanks,
Jason Price
TapeWorks Texas inc.
Jason@TapeWorksTexas.com
866.827.3489 toll free
Jason Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #80
Contributor

That's a pretty nice looking bag, and a decent price too.
I'm not sure I like the PVC lining, but it would be waterproof, and I've been on shoots where that would be a very good thing (like a few months ago, with all my bags in the back of a cargo golf cart, shooting an outdoor truck show, in the rain. Water can soak through a Portabrace bag quicker than you think.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #81
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

PVC lining

Bill,
The PVC lining is not a thick 'non-giving' piece similar to a PVC pipe, say. It is very thin and flexible while still providing the extra protection. I was told that you can actually stack a suitcase on top of these cambags without any worries of the bag collapsing!
FYI, DVInfo users price on these will be $115.00!!

Thank you for the time,
Jason Price
TapeWorks Texas inc.
Jason@TapeWorksTexas.com
Jason Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #82
Regular Crew

A "Carry-On" Bag

I'm looking for a bag for carry-on air travel, and was curious if anyone has one of these (Kata Hiker Backpack)?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I already have a Pelican hard case, but I want a bag to take on the plane with me. Any suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Austin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #83
Contributor

That looks pretty cool. I've always used Portabrace bags, but Kata has some good ones too. The only thing I'd be careful about with that backpack style is to make sure the camera isn't going to put all its weight onto the viewfinder. Also, it looks like if the bag is laying flat in an overhead compartment and somebody squished something down on top of it, it would mash down into the viewfinder on cameras like the Z1 that have the VF up high. The more traditional design has more space over the top. I don't know if that's an issue or not, but maybe something to look at.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill

I've used Portabrace in the past for larger cameras, and was always pleased with them.

My thinking on the backpack was the easy portability of it, and the ability to put it under the seat on the plane, but you bring up good points.

Thanks for the quick response.
Austin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #85
Regular Crew

i think for me its al about the bag. easy to move about with and doesnt look like you have an expensive camera with you.
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #86
New Boot

Sony LCH-FXA

The Bees Knees... Fantastic case, super secure, no hassle at Airports...
Aldric Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM   #87
Trustee

Rather DIY case

What is the maximum bag/case size allowed on board for flying?

I have no intention of ever not taking my Z1 with me, so I have to find something that will protect it and be easy to carry.

Bags are not an option, I think. I have been using one for my PDX10, which is smaller, and it's not too practical or safe.

A pro case is not something that's worth for me buying from Brazil, so I will have to adapt on what's available here. So I have to start on what is the size I can take with me, find the best I can get and foam it myself internally.

This is something I have already done for my rental equipment, so it's a feat I am already used to.

Suggestions?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Bag vs Case

I't Depends - but my opinion is that case protects more u stuff,whatever u decide to put in;)
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #89
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Rooma
I't Depends - but my opinion is that case protects more u stuff,whatever u decide to put in;)

Sorry, I missexplained myself. It's not a bag what what I am looking for, something you hang from your shoulder.

I want something you can wheel around like baggage and still carry-on to the plane. I don't know how that is called specifically.

What I will look for here are baggage boxes that are sturdy enough on the outside and that will fit the Z1 plus foam inside.

One thing I already saw that gets in the way is the Z1's mic holder, and it also has to have some protection from the outside, because it's screwed to the handle. I think I will permanently remove it, because that sets the deepness the case will need to have, with the camera lying on its side.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM   #90
Trustee

One information I could get.

A carry bag must not measure more than 115cm, adding up length, width and depth.

So the question is looking for flexible cases, with wheels, than won't be too long and greater in depth.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1