HD output from the Z1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 17th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #1
Inner Circle

HD output from the Z1?

I rented a Sony Z1 camera this weekend and was surprised to find that it doesn't seem to have the output options I'm used to using on my brother's FX1. Am I missing something somewhere, or is there no way to play directly from a Z1 to an HDTV using a component connection cable? How do Z1 owners view their tapes -- by buying an FX1 to use as a deck?!?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Kevin,

Yes, you are missing the small plastic cover above the audio connections. Under there you will find the component connection as well as s-video and AV.

I just got back from a Sony Wega demonstration stand in our local shopping centre. They were very happy to let me plug my Z1 into the various displays and many folk were dazzled by the live pictures! I used the component lead supplied with the Z1. Didn't you get one?

Sony also had a Blue Ray DVD player prototype running on loan from Japan! Nice.
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Entwistle
Kevin,
I just got back from a Sony Wega demonstration stand in our local shopping centre. They were very happy to let me plug my Z1 into the various displays and many folk were dazzled by the live pictures! I used the component lead supplied with the Z1. Didn't you get one?

Sony also had a Blue Ray DVD player prototype running on loan from Japan! Nice.
Now why can't I have this kind of experience without being chucked out of the store :)

Kevin, this is possible and before I was rudely interrupted at the store I did some tests at, this is also exactly what I did with very good results to boot. Richard has pointed you in the right direction.

Having a deck would help since this will save on the heads of your Z1 but that would depend on your budget. The HVR-M10U or E (depending whether you are in NTSC or PAL land) is a device for this very purpose - albeit a bit pricey

Cheers
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks guys, I figured it out this morning while looking the camera over again. Sony does a good job of neatly hiding things on these cameras, so much so you really have to figure that out before you need something!

:-)
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #5
Trustee

Kevin,

Pick up a copy of this training:

http://www.elitevideo.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=587

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1