Let Me Get This Straight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 14th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Let Me Get This Straight

I'm shooting a wedding video for my mom's friend daugther wedding. I want to try the HDV option instead of the DV with the FX-1 camera. Now do I get this right... I use regular miniDV tapes, I can then use the FX-1 camera to capture via firewire to my sony vaio computer 1.0 Anthlon. I have Sony Vegas 6 which should allow me to capture that?

When capturing footage from the HDV camera is there more space needed on the comp then capturing DV footage?

Also when rendering my computer might not handle it right?

Also I won't be able to capture this footage from the tape if I shoot HDV with a regular camera, so I have to use FX-1 asap before it needs to be returned.

Umm.. not sure if this will work, but I have a feeling I will need to do the DV option.

Any suggestions, any advice appriciated.
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

As far as I understand it:

1. yes, you use regular MiniDV tapes

2. yes, you can capture this with Vegas 6

3. no I don't think you need more space, unless you convert it to another format (the capture program may or may not do this, I'm not 100% sure). The reason you (in theory) don't need more space is that the footage is recorded in MPEG-2 instead of DV compression which uses the same bitrate but stuff more data in it

4. any computer can handle the rendering, it will just take (a lot) longer on your computer due to at least 2.7 times as much data that needs to be handled

5. I think you indeed need the FX1 to capture that HDV footage

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for that info, I'm glad that the HDV option is a possibility for me to record with. :)
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Woodson
I use regular miniDV tapes
For such an important event, I think you'd want to spring for the premium for the Sony HDV-rated Mini DV tapes. This should minimize dropouts. There are no second takes.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

And DO TESTS first!!!!! This to make sure you can capture and work with this footage!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #6
Wrangler

Do you have another DV camcorder available? One solution would be to set the FX1 to downconvert via firewire which will give you a standard DV data stream out the port. You could then use a cable to connect to the firewire port on your regular DV camera. Put that camera in VCR mode and hit record. This way you would be capturing a SD DV version as a backup which could be used after you return the FX1.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1