proper use of the backlightswitch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 13th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

proper use of the backlightswitch

Here's a newbie question for ya:

The manual states that, when filming under bright circumstances, the backlight of the LCDpanel can be switched off, to save batterypower.

Yet when i try this, the image is very very very dark - even if the brightness is pushed up all the way.
If i turn on the backlight: everything looks ok, equal to the viewfinder.

So when do/can i turn it of?
Frank Feijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Frank

I turn it off when I'm shooting outdoors in direct sunlight, and I can still see the picture very clearly. It must have a reflective backing or something....

cheers
Tim
Tim Ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

My lcd has been the same from new. Without the backlight switch, I can't use it. I have a hood fitted now so I just leave it switched on.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

"Spotlight" will reduce the camera's exposure by one or two stops. "Backlight" has the opposite effect. If for example you are shooting against a dark background, by selecting "Backlight", you are forcing the camera to expose by one or two stops higher.

Remember, by setting your exposure to Auto (yuch), the camera must judge for itself what the correct exposure should be based on the "entire" frame. If you have a subject which you want to expose correctly, you should expose for the subject specifically and not for the entire frame and this can only be effectively achieved by selecting the manual mode for the camera. Also remember that if you are going to work on manual, every manual setting will be INACTIVE until you press the corresponding button eg. Iris, Gain Shutter Speed. The most common mistake that one tends to make is to NOT select the Gain. What then happens is that the camera will adjust the gain to compensate which could potentially screw up your footage.

Cheers
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info guys!

For Jeremy: I must admit that it's a bit confusing, but i meant the backlightfunction for the lcd-screen.
I totally agree that manually is the way to work, and in that case the spot- and backlightfunctions you mentioned, dont work.
Frank Feijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Feijen
Thanks for the info guys!

For Jeremy: I must admit that it's a bit confusing, but i meant the backlightfunction for the lcd-screen.
I totally agree that manually is the way to work, and in that case the spot- and backlightfunctions you mentioned, dont work.

Duh!!!!! - maybe I should read carefully before I post an answer :)

And yes, if your backlight for the LCD is off, you have a problem viewing - mine's on all the time - tried switching off once after I just got the camera and saw the results and switched it right back on - never been off since then. But then, if you are used to using the viewfinder more than the lcd - switch the backlight off.

To be honest, I haven't done a test for battery life with the backlight on and then off - but then, I always have spare batteries in my pocket.

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1