DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Buy FX1 now, or wait for NAB? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/64444-buy-fx1-now-wait-nab.html)

Stephen Claus April 5th, 2006 05:12 PM

Buy FX1 now, or wait for NAB?

I've pretty much decided to purchase a Sony FX1. The question is when. I would be very upset if I bought one now and either the price drops like a rock or a major upgrade comes out at NAB. Kind of like the HC1/HC3 situation. I could be wrong, but it feels to me like the FX1 has been on the market long enough to be upgraded.

Does anyone know if Sony has a history of shocking the industry at tradeshows like NAB? Has anyone heard anything about an upgraded FX1 coming out soon?

Any info would be appreciated!

Boyd Ostroff April 5th, 2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Claus
I could be wrong, but it feels to me like the FX1 has been on the market long enough to be upgraded.

Personally I disagree... 3 to 4 years would be more like what we've seen from Sony in the past, and I think the FX1 has only been around two years or less, with the Z1 more like one year. I think they're also big sellers, so that would be even less incentive to update them.

But really, nobody knows. If you don't need a camera right now then why not wait? It's pretty much a given that prices only go down as time passes.

Duane Smith April 5th, 2006 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
If you don't need a camera right now then why not wait?

And conversely, if you do have a need for a camera RIGHT NOW, meaning you need to be shooting in the next few weeks prior to NAB, then you should buy now.

For example, I just bought an A1U this week because I needed an additional camera for a shoot next week. If the camera gets replaced at NAB with a new model, or even something completely new is introduced, it won't be any skin of my nose because I'll be creating with it and making money with it next week.

But if you don't have to buy now, I'd probably take the conservative approach and wait; after all NAB is less than a month away.

Stephen Claus April 6th, 2006 07:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I guess I was panicking because of the HC1/HC3 situation. I was forgetting that those 2 are consumer cameras and Sony changes their consumer line just about every other day. :-) The prosumer cams seem to hang around for a few years.

Boyd, that was an excellent point that the FX1 is selling well and there is little incentive for them to change it or lower the price.

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it--as soon as I figure out how to pay for it!

Jack D. Hubbard April 6th, 2006 08:22 PM

Economics

Hi Stephan,

My rule is if I can generate income, I would buy the camera. There might be some show deals at NAB, but if you have a good job pending now, get the gear.

Stephen Claus April 7th, 2006 07:46 PM

Okay, end of discussion. I ordered the FX1 from B&H today. I just couldn't take it anymore. I've been drooling over that thing for at least a year! Now I'll never again have to be embarrassed showing up for a job with my little silver one chipper. "Okay, everybody make way for the serious video dude with the big black (okay, dark gray) video camera, because he's a pro."

But seriously, I think you get a lot more respect when you have professional looking equipment. (I've shot a few weddings) And it will be a huge psychological boost to me, giving me more confidence. That's all besides the fact that my videos will look better!

My next scheduled wedding isn't until May 13th, but starting next week I have a HUGE opportunity to move into corporate video production (so much more $$$ than weddings) and I want to make as good an impression as I can. That's one reason I decided I couldn't wait for NAB. I also couldn't see driving 2 hours and "throwing away" $200 on a rental. (I live about an hour from Boston, the closest place to rent prosumer stuff.) Three weddings and my FX1 is paid for. If I really like it I'll buy a second one...or maybe a Z1...hmmm...

John McGinley April 7th, 2006 08:21 PM

It doesn't hurt when they see the big HD on the side of the camera too, I know from where I speak.

Glenn Davidson April 7th, 2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McGinley
It doesn't hurt when they see the big HD on the side of the camera too, .

I can't wait to see my friggin' HD on a freakin BluRay.