Buy FX1 now, or wait for NAB? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buy FX1 now, or wait for NAB?

I've pretty much decided to purchase a Sony FX1. The question is when. I would be very upset if I bought one now and either the price drops like a rock or a major upgrade comes out at NAB. Kind of like the HC1/HC3 situation. I could be wrong, but it feels to me like the FX1 has been on the market long enough to be upgraded.

Does anyone know if Sony has a history of shocking the industry at tradeshows like NAB? Has anyone heard anything about an upgraded FX1 coming out soon?

Any info would be appreciated!
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Claus
I could be wrong, but it feels to me like the FX1 has been on the market long enough to be upgraded.
Personally I disagree... 3 to 4 years would be more like what we've seen from Sony in the past, and I think the FX1 has only been around two years or less, with the Z1 more like one year. I think they're also big sellers, so that would be even less incentive to update them.

But really, nobody knows. If you don't need a camera right now then why not wait? It's pretty much a given that prices only go down as time passes.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
If you don't need a camera right now then why not wait?
And conversely, if you do have a need for a camera RIGHT NOW, meaning you need to be shooting in the next few weeks prior to NAB, then you should buy now.

For example, I just bought an A1U this week because I needed an additional camera for a shoot next week. If the camera gets replaced at NAB with a new model, or even something completely new is introduced, it won't be any skin of my nose because I'll be creating with it and making money with it next week.

But if you don't have to buy now, I'd probably take the conservative approach and wait; after all NAB is less than a month away.

Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I guess I was panicking because of the HC1/HC3 situation. I was forgetting that those 2 are consumer cameras and Sony changes their consumer line just about every other day. :-) The prosumer cams seem to hang around for a few years.

Boyd, that was an excellent point that the FX1 is selling well and there is little incentive for them to change it or lower the price.

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it--as soon as I figure out how to pay for it!
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Economics

Hi Stephan,

My rule is if I can generate income, I would buy the camera. There might be some show deals at NAB, but if you have a good job pending now, get the gear.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Okay, end of discussion. I ordered the FX1 from B&H today. I just couldn't take it anymore. I've been drooling over that thing for at least a year! Now I'll never again have to be embarrassed showing up for a job with my little silver one chipper. "Okay, everybody make way for the serious video dude with the big black (okay, dark gray) video camera, because he's a pro."

But seriously, I think you get a lot more respect when you have professional looking equipment. (I've shot a few weddings) And it will be a huge psychological boost to me, giving me more confidence. That's all besides the fact that my videos will look better!

My next scheduled wedding isn't until May 13th, but starting next week I have a HUGE opportunity to move into corporate video production (so much more $$$ than weddings) and I want to make as good an impression as I can. That's one reason I decided I couldn't wait for NAB. I also couldn't see driving 2 hours and "throwing away" $200 on a rental. (I live about an hour from Boston, the closest place to rent prosumer stuff.) Three weddings and my FX1 is paid for. If I really like it I'll buy a second one...or maybe a Z1...hmmm...
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It doesn't hurt when they see the big HD on the side of the camera too, I know from where I speak.
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGinley
It doesn't hurt when they see the big HD on the side of the camera too, .
I can't wait to see my friggin' HD on a freakin BluRay.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1