problems capturing into fcp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 24th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Trustee

problems capturing into fcp

Is it a good idea to use the Z1 to capture?

As I find that fcp sometimes has trouble capturing properly through it, especially on batch capture. Also sometimes when i print to tape it doesnt always work. No obvious reason, it just sometimes gets break up...

Perhaps I need a seperate deck as I don't want to damage the head but it's another expense. I never had problems capturing with straight DV on other cameras before but the z1 just doesn't seem very stable...i do need to look into getting a seperate deck at some point...does anyone other than sony make one?

Last edited by Phil Bloom; October 25th, 2006 at 05:14 AM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

double post...
Austin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, in my case, I can't capture HDV now, after installing the Crossgrade, and then installing 5.1.2 immediately after that.

If anyone has any ideas other than checking capture settings, junking QT receipts, trashing prefs, or re-installing; I'd appreciate their remedies.

I've tried all of those other than re-installing.

Oh, this thread will be promptly moved... : )
Austin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Are you capturing to a laptop? Because I could never get batch capturing (in any format) to work well on my G4 power book. Capture now was no worries at all.

If you use the camera to capture check it's settings. If you want HDV, make sure downconvert is off.

Otherwise, I'd go through the settings again. Uncheck any preference that has "Abort capture" in the phrase.

Everytime I've upgraded (FCP 3 up to FCP 5.04) the upgrade software has changed the capture settings to the defaults settings that Mr Apple thinks a computer should be set on.

If your desparate and in a hurry, just capture with iMovie and export it to a format FCP likes.
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #5
Trustee

thanks, I am using a macbook pro. The problem is just with batch capture.

With imovie is there a way of capturing to an external drive?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1