Mounting a light and mic on the FX1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting a light and mic on the FX1000

If using the hotshoe for my videolight where do you put an extra mic on this body?

Thanks
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Here Deniz

*Light & Sound Bracket(View Description): - Cool-lux - "Lighting Tools For The Professional Videographer"

MD3000 Cool-lux Light & Sound Bracket, Camcorder Dual Mount Bracket for Video Lights & Microphones

Stelios
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Or this Rycote - Accessories
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Major Player

I have Rycote, but you have to double check your light and mic mounts. Turns out that my light's shoe is not square so when turned 90deg to be mounted on the Rycote, it doesn't hold - the shoe is 1/16inch too short :-(
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the Rycote hotshoe extension and it is stable and works very well. Today, I have my Sony light (the one that has two bulbs on it) and my G2 wireless receiver on the Rycote with no problems.

I was on a tripod and then handheld in a hallway and an office with no problems.

I have used that mount with a shotgun and a light with good results.

Here's an example of a shoot I did with actor Jeremy Renner about his excellent work in "The Hurt Locker:" EInsiders.com - Where Film Buffs Get Their Fix

This entire interview was shot handheld with a steady stock rig for a little support. I was on my knees and toggling between my MacBook pro and my camera.

I had the camera really rigged up. On the hot shoe extender (note it is really cold shoe, but that's what they call it), I had a light and a shotgun. Then I had my wireless receiver on the camera handle.

Ultimately, the sound is decent but I had no time in post to clean it up. For example, my audio is just ambient and too low to hear. I just had to move onto another paying job and couldn't fool with it any more. I think that the actual TV audio was much better because more was done to it.
Jonathan W. Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Z5 set-up

I just ordered my LED light - but you'll get the idea. I use a XL Mini-mount shock mount that I've had for a while for the shotgun, a Rycote shoe extension for my wireless and a small ball mount to put my LED on top of.
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting a light and mic on the FX1000-z5_frontlightconfig.jpg   Mounting a light and mic on the FX1000-z5_rlightconfig.jpg  

Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Clifton View Post
I just ordered my LED light - but you'll get the idea. I use a XL Mini-mount shock mount that I've had for a while for the shotgun, a Rycote shoe extension for my wireless and a small ball mount to put my LED on top of.
Darin the problem with the FX1000 is that you don;t have the built in mic mount that the Z5U has and can't add one (like I did with my FX1) because the 1/8 mic port is located where the mic mount would be.

So while I could use the Rycote extension, and mount a wireless and shotgun mic to the front shoe, it would be cumbersome with cabling and an external XLR adapter. Plus for me adding a large Comer1800 LED light tot he front of a camera is a no no for me, as the weight is too great and throws the balance of the camera off considerably.

For you it might be best to mount an LED light to the extra cold shoe that the Z5 provides.
then you wouldn't have the need for the Rycote extension bar, and could mount the wireless directly on the front shoe if needed.

One thing of note I am curious about is why one would need a shotgun mic on the Z5U anyway? I only ask because you can use one XLR plus the internal stereo mic (acts as dual mono mic). And onboard mics are practically useless anyway except for ambient audio, so why not just use one XLR for your wireless and the onboard mic for your other channel? This takes away the extra bulk of your shotgun mic.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Here is mine, set up for work with mic, radio receiver and Swit light. Very usefull addition to kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting a light and mic on the FX1000-cam2edit.jpg  
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Here is mine, set up for work with mic, radio receiver and Swit light. Very usefull addition to kit.
Holy cow, the mic is twice the size of the camera! =)

BTW, what adapter are you using to mount the Sennhieser wireless to the Rycote?
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Darin the problem with the FX1000 is that you don;t have the built in mic mount that the Z5U has and can't add one (like I did with my FX1) because the 1/8 mic port is located where the mic mount would be.

So while I could use the Rycote extension, and mount a wireless and shotgun mic to the front shoe, it would be cumbersome with cabling and an external XLR adapter. Plus for me adding a large Comer1800 LED light tot he front of a camera is a no no for me, as the weight is too great and throws the balance of the camera off considerably.

For you it might be best to mount an LED light to the extra cold shoe that the Z5 provides.
then you wouldn't have the need for the Rycote extension bar, and could mount the wireless directly on the front shoe if needed.

One thing of note I am curious about is why one would need a shotgun mic on the Z5U anyway? I only ask because you can use one XLR plus the internal stereo mic (acts as dual mono mic). And onboard mics are practically useless anyway except for ambient audio, so why not just use one XLR for your wireless and the onboard mic for your other channel? This takes away the extra bulk of your shotgun mic.

Michael,

I won't have the light on full time - only on an as-needed basis. I shoot wildlife & outdoor footage , so the ambient audio plays an important part of the viewing experience; thus the shotgun. As far as placing the light on the other cold shoe - it's at the rear of the handle and would cause serious shadow problems. With the wireless at the rear - you have problems holding the camera for off-hand shots. 90% of the time - I will have the wireless mounted directly on the front shoe without the Rycote extension or light attached. With the shock mount & the mic slightly to the rear and the wireless on the front shoe , the camera seems to balance very well. [ I also use the MRC1 and an NP-F970 battery ]

Darin
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I've added a little shoe on my Z1 and here it is kitted up. I took off the Sony mic mount as I use the Rycote Softie's mount. This combo is ready for anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting a light and mic on the FX1000-fully-loaded-z1.jpg  
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Holy cow, the mic is twice the size of the camera! =)

BTW, what adapter are you using to mount the Sennhieser wireless to the Rycote?
Rycote multimount, and Hama swivel shoe, to keep the Sennheiser receiver upright, in the same orientation as the transmittor
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Trustee

Wow!!! Tom, That's quite a set up.

Stelios

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000