FX1000 or Z5 just for XLR option? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1000 or Z5 just for XLR option?

So the FX1000 has no XLR option, what are the options for audio then? So I have to go with the Z5 just for this - not fair.....!

Please share your views.

I had in mind a RODE NTG into a XLR to jack plug - that no good?
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You could do that, or get a BeachTek or JuicedLink box, which would be better. No need to move up to the Z5 if the only issue is the XLR inputs.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniz Ahmet View Post
So the FX1000 has no XLR option, what are the options for audio then? So I have to go with the Z5 just for this - not fair.....!
Are you serious?
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have an ancient beachteck adapter I bought off ebay, works great. You can also go with the Rode Video Mic which supplies it's own power and will plug into the fx1000 audio jack.
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Major Player

A Beach Tek w/ Phantom power will cost about $300, if you get just a straight pass through Beach Tek you can ONLY use mics that power themself.

Personally I think built in XLR is well worth more than $300, but that is mostly because I don't like mini jacks & have had problems with them in the past. Audio is way too important for me to risk it on saving a couple bucks.

Also I believe that the Z5 comes w/ an external shotgun mic, which will save you another $200. And if you want to go tapeless, the CompactFlash recorder fits directly onto the Z5, so you don't have to mess with extra batteries & cables.

If you're just filming your friends skate boarding, then the FX1000 might work for you, but I think it is worth the money if you're wanting to do pro work.
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Trustee

A big chunk of the price difference between the FX1000 and the Z5 goes towards the quality of service you get in the event of a camera malfunction/warranty service. The Pro division will get it fixed ASAP and might provide a replacement on loan while yours is at the workshop, whereas the FX1000 will dissappear into a black hole for several months before you get it back.

If you're doing pro work, it's a big thing to consider.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
... whereas the FX1000 will dissappear into a black hole for several months before you get it back. ...
Wow John, Is this really happening in the states? Sony must really do something there.

Stelios
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniz Ahmet View Post

Please share your views.

I had in mind a RODE NTG into a XLR to jack plug - that no good?
There are a couple of things to consider when looking at the difference between the FX1000 and the Z5U. These are the major differences to me...

1. Z5U has built in XLRs. But besides the built in XLRs you also have the ability to use the audio in several ways...
a. XLR 1&2 (shotgun mic + wireless or 2x wireless)
b. XLR 1 + built in stereo mic (used like dual mono mic)

2. Z5U has many more mounting options
a. shotgun mic mount
b. cold shoe on internal mic
c. third cold shoe on handle

3. With built in XLRs. the overall size is much smaller and easier to handle than FX1000 and XLR adapter. Plus you don't have a shotgun mount, so you lose your only cold shoe mounting option without adding on cumbersome adapters adding to your camera bulk.
You can add a handle bracket which would give you an added mounting point if needed. Make it known that I HATE antler style double bracket type extenders. As they add unnecessary bulk to the camera and a lot of times can throw off the camera balance. I only like to add a wireless receiver at most to the front of the camera, as a usable light up (no wimpy LP Micro) front will also throw off the camera balance considerably.

4. You can mount the Sony MRC1K directly to the rear of the Z5U with no extra cabling and the unit is powered directly from the mounted camera battery.
In order to use the MRC1K recorder with the FX1000, you need an additional mounting point on the camera, and have to mount the battery on the MRC1K.

Now I shoot with FX1's and this is what I mount on my camera currently.
1. Rode NTG2 shotgun Mic
2. Sennhesier G2 Wireless receiver
3. MRC1K CF recorder
4. Comer1800 LED light (similar but stronger than Sony HVL LED light)
5. Juicedlink XLR adapter

I have modified the FX1 to take the Z1 mic mount, which you can't currently do with the FX1000, as the 1/8 mic port is located where the mount would go. And I have also attached a handle bracket on the FX1 handle. So I mount the accessories this way.

1. shotgun mic and wireless receiver to the mic mount (via J-Rod twin).
2. Comer LED light on handle bracket
3. MRC1K on handle bracket (via Noga Arm)
4. Juicelink XLR adapter on bottom of FX1.
5. Entire rig is mounted on DV Multi Rig for all days shoot.

Now the reason I mentioned all that I mount on my camera for a few reasons. The main reason being, that since I can't mount the Z5U mic mount on the camera itself, I then lose a key way for me to moutn accessories. So I would not able to shoot as I normally do.

Now I have used both FX1000 and Z5U. And love the cameras themselves.
But I will say that the overall packaging of the Z5U is the reason why it will be my next camera. I love the ability to have the internal mic shock mount, XLRs, and the ability to use the MRC1K directly on the rear of the camera. This makes it very compact and lightweight for me to shoot all day with.

BTW, the Z5U also has a few extra menu options that aren't available on the FX1000.
Overall a great setup would be one Z5U and and FX1000 for a second camera.

I shoot with at least 3 cameras for a lot of shoots, so for me two Z5Us and one FX1000 will be my next overall setup.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000