DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Focus issue has been solved? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/122828-focus-issue-has-been-solved.html)

Fellipe de Paula May 31st, 2008 12:38 PM

Focus issue has been solved?

Does focus issue have been solved? I read something about it and as I'm needing a new camera for weddings I'm considering the z7...

thx

Bruce G. Cleveland May 31st, 2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellipe de Paula (Post 886311)
Does focus issue have been solved? I read something about it and as I'm needing a new camera for weddings I'm considering the z7...

thx

I don't have any focus issues. A couple things I have noticed is camera focuses much better with macro focus turned off. Also there is a focus snap ring that moves from front to back for manual over ride. If this is in the over ride position, auto and manual focus will be a nightmare.

Bruce

Fellipe de Paula May 31st, 2008 02:12 PM

good to hear that... Thanks for sharing your experience...

Jake Latendresse May 31st, 2008 05:37 PM

i NEVER had focus issues either.

Mike Brand May 31st, 2008 05:48 PM

Focus issues

Never really had focus probs either, every once in a while in very low light it buzzes out of focus, it's almost predicable though. It's a great camera for the price.

Mike Brand

Kevin Walsh June 2nd, 2008 08:06 AM

I use the camera for weddings and like Mike said the camera occasionally buzzes out of focus in extremely low light but overall it is OK. You will have to focus this camera manually under certain situations, but with peaking and expanded focus it's not too bad. The camera will also hunt a little when you are shooting a scene that has a lot of specular highlights in the background.
I good light the focus has no problems and is dead accurate.
I don't think this camera ever had any real focus issues, I think people were just expecting too much from it. If this is your first HD camera there is a small learning curve here.

Kevin Walsh June 2nd, 2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellipe de Paula (Post 886311)

thx

Fellipe, I just wanted to add that if you are planning on using the compact flash card attachment for weddings, you should get cards that exceed the the 133x min speed by a bit. For weddings, which are a mix of run and gun as well as long clips you should be looking at 300x cards. I had data breaks with the Transcend 133x cards.

Bruce Reynolds June 2nd, 2008 09:01 PM

data breaks

Yes, to be safe get the higher speed cards. I sent mine back to Sony with focus tbl and CF card trouble, like glitches on the first or last of short clips. Long clips were fine. They fixed my focus trouble and tested my Cf Transend 133x and got the same gliches. With their 300x CF card it was fine. They suggested to use only 300x cards. Which I will do and see if it helps. I asked them why do they say 133x minnium speed if they don't work , they said use the 300x cards. Now my camera works great and is a good as the PD 170 in low light. I use only a 15 to 20 w Led light with no problem.

Aaron Courtney June 3rd, 2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Reynolds (Post 887472)
Long clips were fine.

Bruce, what kind of time are you talking about here? Is Sony imposing a 2GB file limit on CF media shots with the Z7 like what is showing up in all of the AVCHD cams?