Focus issue has been solved? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 31st, 2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Focus issue has been solved?

Does focus issue have been solved? I read something about it and as I'm needing a new camera for weddings I'm considering the z7...

thx
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellipe de Paula View Post
Does focus issue have been solved? I read something about it and as I'm needing a new camera for weddings I'm considering the z7...

thx
I don't have any focus issues. A couple things I have noticed is camera focuses much better with macro focus turned off. Also there is a focus snap ring that moves from front to back for manual over ride. If this is in the over ride position, auto and manual focus will be a nightmare.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

good to hear that... Thanks for sharing your experience...
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i NEVER had focus issues either.
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:48 PM   #5
New Boot

Focus issues

Never really had focus probs either, every once in a while in very low light it buzzes out of focus, it's almost predicable though. It's a great camera for the price.

Mike Brand
Mike Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM   #6
Major Player

I use the camera for weddings and like Mike said the camera occasionally buzzes out of focus in extremely low light but overall it is OK. You will have to focus this camera manually under certain situations, but with peaking and expanded focus it's not too bad. The camera will also hunt a little when you are shooting a scene that has a lot of specular highlights in the background.
I good light the focus has no problems and is dead accurate.
I don't think this camera ever had any real focus issues, I think people were just expecting too much from it. If this is your first HD camera there is a small learning curve here.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellipe de Paula View Post

thx
Fellipe, I just wanted to add that if you are planning on using the compact flash card attachment for weddings, you should get cards that exceed the the 133x min speed by a bit. For weddings, which are a mix of run and gun as well as long clips you should be looking at 300x cards. I had data breaks with the Transcend 133x cards.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

data breaks

Yes, to be safe get the higher speed cards. I sent mine back to Sony with focus tbl and CF card trouble, like glitches on the first or last of short clips. Long clips were fine. They fixed my focus trouble and tested my Cf Transend 133x and got the same gliches. With their 300x CF card it was fine. They suggested to use only 300x cards. Which I will do and see if it helps. I asked them why do they say 133x minnium speed if they don't work , they said use the 300x cards. Now my camera works great and is a good as the PD 170 in low light. I use only a 15 to 20 w Led light with no problem.
Bruce Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Reynolds View Post
Long clips were fine.
Bruce, what kind of time are you talking about here? Is Sony imposing a 2GB file limit on CF media shots with the Z7 like what is showing up in all of the AVCHD cams?
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270