alternate battery power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #1
Major Player

alternate battery power

just wondering if there is any other alternative battery power option for thie camera.

I'm thinking about getting a steadicam and was wondering if you can run this camera off an Anton Bauer brick, or NP1s, or whatever.
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #2
Major Player

wow already found my answer on google.

Anton Bauer Battery Adapter for Sony HVR-Z1
http://www.abelcine.com/store/produc...cat=104&page=1

so has anyone used one of these, or a similar one?
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #3
Major Player

yep, I had one. worked great! I had AB make one for me that had a
powertap for an Ultralight, or Frezzi with the AB style plug. Cost
me $250, but they put the tap near the battery adapter. I got tired
of having a battery belt, so I sold it.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Major Player

I suppose you could, but my question would be, why would you want to? In my experience, I haven't found any battery source better than the Sony L-series.

I've run my PD-150, a Sound Devices MixPre and portable lights on a NP-970 for days without recharging. Why spend more to hang bulkier batteries that don't last as long off the back of the camera?
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
Why spend more to hang bulkier batteries that don't last as long off the back of the camera?
to balanace out the weight on a shoulder mount or steadicam type rig. any weight I can get onto the other side of my shoulder or the other side of a gimble would lower the total balanced weight.

that being camera & battery is 5lbs, you need 5lbs to balance it out, 10lbs total. if the camera alone is 4lbs, then 1lb battery+3lbs counter weight = 8lbs balanced rig, 20% less weight (if I wasn't just making these figures up as I go, but I hope the point is in there)

but I admit I'm very pleased w/ how well the batteries last & for most of the time I'll just be using them on their own. I have used batteries on short shoots for days at a time too and then get surprised when the battery light flashes thinking "oh, yeah, batteries do lose power, I forgot about that"

very different from the days of shooting w/ Betacams & old worn down NP1 batteries. I used to carry around 6 NP1s to make sure I was covered for a whole day of shooting news, which was usually less than 40min recorded to tape.
Zach Love is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270