Z5 or Z7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 7th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Z5 or Z7?

I currently own a Z1 and thought the Z5 was the natural choice for a next camera but then I noticed the Z5 sells for 3900 euro's and the Z7 for 4500. Since the Z7 includes the CF-recorder (worth around 700.- ?)and the option to change lenses, I would say there is no reason for me to buy the Z5...

Or am I missing something? (based in the Netherlands, btw)

Wolf
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The Z7 may be seen as too big a step-up for a lot of current Z1 owners in as much as lots of them don't need the lens interchangeability and it's inability to work with their current non zoom-through wide-angle converters.

The Z5 seems a more logical Z1 replacement to me. It fights off the Canon XH-A1 by matching its 20x zoom, looks and feels like the Z1 and moves up in the low-light stakes by using CMOS chips.

But there go Sony again - subdividing the niche.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #3
New Boot

What is a z5? Is this the same as a z7u? If so the zoom is 12.
Alex Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Tom, thanks for the response. But you agree with me that -looking at these prices and given the fact I don't use WA converters- there is no reason for me NOT to buy the Z7.

I can get a Z7 for less the price than Z5 plus CF-recorder plus the ability to change lenses (which ups the second hand value, I imagine)

My big question is: Why did they price this -new- Z5 to be more expensive than the the Z7, based on the assumption that every potential Z5 buyer would want the optional CF-recorder? Or is this a wrong assumption? (and is't the issue of non-compatible WA converteres a marginal one?)

Wolf
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Alex - would I lie to you?

Jeroen - if you're quoting real street prices (and the Z5 has yet to be given one of these in reality) then yes, the Z7 looks to be a better bet. But you've got to want and need to change lenses to go for this camera - as EX3 owners do over EX1 buyers. If you're off on safari, no question. If you're a run 'n' gun man then the 20x plus a slim wide-converter gives you a huge focal length range.

The Z5 is the one I'd choose to replace my Z1 with at this stage, but not before I'd had all three cameras laid out before me and a cool hour with which to play with them. The V1 was never in the running, but then I've always considered going down a chip size isn't an option.

tom.
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Major Player

I was about to go down the same path. IF you can find an EX1 in the $5500 range, snatch it up and don't look back. Now that there are viable cheap alternatives to the SxS cards, it makes no sense to spend $5400 on a 1/3" chip camera. Archival hard drive space is dirt cheap as well for backing up. Just something else to consider, unless you like having tape backup.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
I was about to go down the same path. IF you can find an EX1 in the $5500 range, snatch it up and don't look back. Now that there are viable cheap alternatives to the SxS cards, it makes no sense to spend $5400 on a 1/3" chip camera. Archival hard drive space is dirt cheap as well for backing up. Just something else to consider, unless you like having tape backup.
You know, I've been eyeing the EX's and feel terribly attracted to them. I finished a doc earlier this year and was thinking the EX1 would have made many scenes look much better than the Z1. Plus going tapeless seemed so 'clean'. (but you wind up with lots of big harddrives, as opposed to lots of small tapes...)
But I make my money doing clips that are posted on the web. Tape is an easy workflow- no dumping, no archiving. I don't even shoot HDV anymore- why bother for the web? Or even for DVD? Editing DV is quick and painless. I don't know about XDCAM. I have the feeling things have to be sorted out by a number of parties before it's smooth and reliable. The words of a late adopter...

So that's why I've slowly started to consider the Z7/5. I like the lowlight features. And I get to experiment with a little CF-stuff on the side. (does that CF-recorder work on a Z1 as well?)

However, my heart still throbs for the EX-series... how much did you say those cheap alternative SXS cards go for, Scott?
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Player

The hands on preview by B & H seemed to indicate that the Z5 has a slight advantage in low light when compared to the Z7. Even though they both have 1/3" CMOS sensors. The Z5 is supposed to have slightly better processing resulting in the slight advantage. I have a V1 and a 20X lens is nice. Too many choices. Someday they will have the "perfect" camcorder so the choice will be easy.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
The hands on preview by B & H seemed to indicate that the Z5 has a slight advantage in low light when compared to the Z7. Even though they both have 1/3" CMOS sensors. The Z5 is supposed to have slightly better processing resulting in the slight advantage. I have a V1 and a 20X lens is nice. Too many choices. Someday they will have the "perfect" camcorder so the choice will be easy.
I cant see the Z5 being slightly better in low light they are mechanically the same except for the lens. I know the Z5 will be much lighter and alittle lighter then the Z1
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
Both are rated at 1.5 lux at 1/25th shutter speed at autogain (probably 18db)
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #11
Major Player

big heavy hard drives? the SSD cards are the size of a stick of gum. You can get the Lexar 8gb cards for $40 each, and the Kensington ExpressCard adapter and San Disk Ultra II SDHC card will run you about $90-100. But thats 80 minutes per slot. dump them to your puter via usb card reader when you get home. I suggest browsing the XDCAM forum.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Major Player

I have seen the 1.5 lux specs myself. BUT, B & H said the Z5 now incorporates "Exmor" technology. I don't know, does the Z7 have Exmor processing? One of the benefits of the Exmor processing is it supposed to have slightly better low light performance. It is also supposed to have slightly better color reproduction or some other similar claims. Maybe it was just propoganda since no one that I know of has actually done a real life test. I am just repeating what B & H said. It could be all lies.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
big heavy hard drives? the SSD cards are the size of a stick of gum...But thats 80 minutes per slot
I'm pretty sure he was referring to archiving card-captured footage on hard drives, rather than having boxes of HD tapes as an archive. You'd need a lot of 1TB drives over time to capture those 16GB and 32GB cards over and over and over.

Luckily the WD "Green" 1TB drives are about $129 now and building a small RAID is easy.
Scott Caplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Both are rated at 1.5 lux at 1/25th shutter speed at autogain (probably 18db)
Yes, auto gain. Sony seem to have gone stupid and started quoting low light lux figures with a shutter speed you'd never (willingly) use. Why don't they say it's a half-lux camera then, and keep stum about the 1/6th sec shutter speed?

I think they wanted to make it look as if it nearly matched the PD150.

tom.
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #15
Regular Crew

One of the reasons I am planning to purchase the Z7 is because of the ability to put the camera into non-servo, truly manual focus. I see that another difference between the Z7 and the Z5 is that the Z5 is a servo assisted focus only camera which I would presume is a negative point.

I would be interested in hearing comments from those of you who use the Z7 in non-servo assisted mode as to how use full you find this feature to be.

Mark
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270