Z5 or Z7? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #46
Inner Circle

...and neither are as good as the Z1's in direct sunlight. But then they're sharper (more dots that give off less light) and you can buy a snazzy magnetic 'Hoodman' because Sony recognises this unavoidable backwards step. Nicely multi-coated though.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
...and neither are as good as the Z1's in direct sunlight. .
this is b/c it is a glossy LCD, if I had my way it would be more matte like the Z1, but still better way than the Z1 & I never had any problems w/ the Z1 LCD
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #48
Trustee

If you were going to with one camera, either the Sony Z5 or Sony Z7, which would it be and why?

Both cameras are very similar, with the size and weight edge going to the Z5.

And the customability, because of removable lens, goes to the Z7.

I don't know if I would rather have a fixed lens or a removable one. As for a removable one you have to make sure that you set your backfocus, or auto focus (I usually always go manual) will be off and blury.
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #49
Major Player

Actually, you can have backfocus problems with the cameras with fixed lenses also. And instead of trying to adjust it yourself or through the cameras menu, you just get to send it in for service. I feel the choice is basically between a fixed lens and an interchangeable lens. If you will NEVER change the lens on the Z7 for any reason, then the Z5 is probably the better choice. But if you think you would like to buy a 1/3" broadcast lens or a lens mount adapter for Nikon lenses, or Sony Alpha lenses or whatever, then you really need to get the Z7.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:31 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Although the Z5 and Z7 both start out equal in the gloom (F/1.6 at wide-angle), the Z5's lens ramps hugely whereas the Z7's doesn't. So in practical filmmaking terms the Z7 is far better when the lights go low.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:48 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
If you were going to with one camera, either the Sony Z5 or Sony Z7, which would it be and why?
Surely a big consideration must come down to whether or not you want the CF unit?

It's included with the Z7, but an optional extra with the Z5. Since the price of Z5 plus CF recorder is similar to the Z7, it would seem logical that if you want the unit, buy the Z7, if you just want a tape camera, you can save quite a lot of money by getting a Z5.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:09 PM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Surely a big consideration must come down to whether or not you want the CF unit?

It's included with the Z7, but an optional extra with the Z5. Since the price of Z5 plus CF recorder is similar to the Z7, it would seem logical that if you want the unit, buy the Z7, if you just want a tape camera, you can save quite a lot of money by getting a Z5.
David thanks for the info.
I decided yesterday to go for the Z7. As I definitely want to use the CF unit as well as tape. And the big difference is that I thought long and hard about if I wanted a removable or permanently attached lens. I decided removable for 2 reasons...

The obvious on is the ability to use 35mm glass with it.

The second, is a maintenance one, as if anything ever happened to the lens, like it cracked, I woudl only have to replace a new lens on it as opposed to having the entire camera serviced.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270