Problem with "Cache" Mode - Please Help ! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM   #16
New Boot

Dirk and rest,

Ok, i did some experiementing with (Ext Only, Synchronous, and Relay). In relay and synchronous the problems still happens. In Ext Only, i can not get the back unit (iLink) to record when hitting the normal record button. I understand that the EXT mode stops the tape from recording when the record button is hit but I can't get it to record to the back unit either (iLink). Bascially nothing happens in (Ext Only) mode.

By the way the pause error i am trying to troubleshoot is only when in HDV mode, when in DVcam mode there is no issue.

Anyway, Dirk so you said you got it to work right using the (Ext Only) mode. Are you hitting the actual big record button on top that normally starts the tape or the smaller buttons on the iLink unit. Also, are you are in Cache mode?

Thanks!
Mike Theiss
Mike Theiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hello Mike,
I use the normal big button on the camera to start and stop the the writing on the card writer. I use only HDV. This works correct on EXT only! My camcorder is a Z5, perhaps there are small differences between the Z7 and the Z5
Dirk PEL
Dirk Pel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #18
New Boot

Thanks Dirk...

yea, there must be a difference between the Z5 and a Z7. Because mine won't record when doing that, Darn.... well thanks for helping.
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hello Mike,
On page 86 of your operating manuel it is explained how it works. There is no difference between the Z5 and the Z7. Perhaps you make a little error in the setup.
It should be possible, when not go to your shop where you bought the cam.
Greeting from Germany.
Dirk PEL(NL)
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #20
New Boot

Thanks. I have read the book and page 86 but still seem to be a problem. I am getting the symbol that says it does not recognize the external device. Anyway, i will do some more testing, Thanks !

Mike
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hello Mike,
Is on the cardwriter the cam link right?
See picture, it must be in the position as on on the my jpg!
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with "Cache" Mode - Please Help !-camlink.jpg  
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:21 AM   #22
New Boot

Dirk,

Thanks for taking the time to post the examples, etc.... OK, i tried it again in Ext Only mode and still not working. I made sure the cam link was correct just like in your example but the big (main) record button still does not start recording to the CF reader for some reason. Hummmm....
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #23
Major Player

If you're waiting hours & hours for the perfect shot, it might be easier to take the recorder off the camera & put it in the arm rest of the lawn chair. (You'll have to have another battery for the CF recorder & a FW cable.)

If it works by hitting the record button directly on the unit, you can get the shot w/o getting up! :)

One other thing to think about is the super slow motion mode.

You would be recording to tape, but you could get 12sec of cache at 120fps.

It would be a little tricky because you'd ONLY get a max of 12sec recorded, so you'd want to to time it to record enough of the ice berg breaking & enough of it falling. You'll also lose some quality & have to wait 48sec after the 12sec cache to record to tape.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM   #24
Tourist

Sony HVR-Z7 & HVR-MRC1 Cache Problem

Hey Mike and All.

I'm one of Mikes mates based in Australia.
As well as Mike has tried to explain this issue, It can be further clarified.

1. The Issue occurs when cache mode is on using the HVR-MRC1
2. The Issue occurs when the Sony HVR-Z7 Camera AND the rear HVR-MRC1 unit are used together.
3. It is unknown if the issue is present when using other cameras or Firewire HDV based devices.

NOTE:
In DVCAM Mode (Camera and Memory Recorder), when you have Cache on. It will cache around 14 seconds of video. When you press record on the camera and you (for example) record 30 seconds of video. The total time recorded to Memory Card is around 44 seconds.
THIS WILL BE A SINGLE FILE (Including Cache)

NOTE:
In HDV Mode (Camera and Memory Recorder), when you have Cache on. It will cache around 14 seconds of video. When you press record on the camera and you (for example) record 30 seconds of video. The total time recorded to Memory Card is around 14 seconds as one clip, and another of around 29 seconds.
THERE WILL BE A TOTAL OF 2 FILES RECORDED (Including Cache)
WHEN THESE FILES ARE PUT ON A TIMELINE (Edit Suite), THERE WILL BE AROUND 1 SECOND MISSING BETWEEN THE TWO CLIPS.

This is naturally noticed when playing back directly from the HVR-MRC1, as mike has experienced.

I have contacted Sony Australia about this problem, and will be lodging this alleged design flaw with them.

I have not been able to locate any firmware updates on the Sony website for the HVR-MRC1.

I have used the Camera without fault for over 1 year.. I'm very happy with its performance.

I never knew there was a problem with the HDV Cache continuous recording until Mike asked me about it.

I believe everyone with this unit may be affected.

I have used cache extensively, but never really knew it was an issue.

However with what Mike is doing, (Filming glaciers collapse), you WILL need the clips to be continuous (like in DVCAM Mode).

I have no idea why 2 clips are created instead of just one in DVCAM Mode.

Updates to follow...
Daniel Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hallo all,
There must be a difference between the Z7 and the Z5. I just tested it again in cache mode. EXT only and HDV. There is in my Z5 MRC1 only one file and not as you explained 2. The scene I recorded is complete without any interruption!!
I do'nt understand why this difference exist, the only explanation is perhaps that the Z5 was later on the market as the Z7.

Dirk PEL(NL)
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #26
Major Player

Just for the heck of it, did you try to use the Sony utility program to join them?
Never mind, that won't work.

Last edited by Rob Morse; November 5th, 2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Stupidity
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270